Ibaka Back!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
70% of teams that have won game 3, have gone on to win the series in 7 game series.

That being said, I don't see Serge making that much of a difference overall. It has been poor effort and execution that has put us into this position. From coaching to players.

Maybe Serge scores 10 or 12, and maybe he blocks a few shots, and seals the paint a little more. So instead of 60+ points in the paint, they allow 40. IF the team continues to play with the effort that they did game 1 & 2, they are still going to lose. They can't keep playing Sef, his best days are behind him. No defense, no shots, you aren't getting anything out of him.

Spurs in 5 still, we'll get one at home just off of our player's having a boost of energy, but we end up splitting at home, go back to SA for them to finish us off for game 5. You can't beat an entire team of 10 players that are scorer's, with 2 guys. KD and RW are great players, but they don't have the team around them, or the maturity to beat a team like this. Just like getting shut out by the Heat in the finals.

80% of our bench needs to go, and Sef needs to go as well. As much as people want to complain about Perk, we would be better off keeping him and keeping the rotation with him and Adams while Adams is maturing, UNLESS they end up working a trade for Kevin Love, then yes, Perk would have to go. I think it would be a mistake to use our Amnesty on him unless we did get something big in return. Save that for next year, when a particular player has 1 year left on their contract. There are some very interesting trade speculations going on right now, one of which that would land Love in OKC (it would be a huge price for us though if we did what the are proposing it would take to get Love)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Comparing the 2012 Thunder vs the 2012 Spurs to today's teams...........we don't have Hardin......they have Greene and Splitter. Other than that, is there much difference?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot about coaching and they have continued to improve on their team dynamic.

...and 2 more years playing as a group. 2 more years of running a real offense and defense. A trip to the NBA finals last year, and they were the team that should have been the Champs....

They have grown. We haven't. We've just shuffled people around, got rid of a few, and still do the same thing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You forgot about coaching and they have continued to improve on their team dynamic.

Same coaches......but Pop wins over Brooks.

...and 2 more years playing as a group. 2 more years of running a real offense and defense. A trip to the NBA finals last year, and they were the team that should have been the Champs....

They have grown. We haven't. We've just shuffled people around, got rid of a few, and still do the same thing.

Much agreed.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Perkins but I flat out don't understand the Perkins love fest. I understand that he adds a certain presence to the roster but I think we could do better. Since I skipped my workout today I have a little bit (ok, quite a bit) of time to dig a little further into the stats within the link I had found the other day.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/page/2

Perkins has the lowest Player efficiency rating out of the leagues 62 active centers. And according to those stats he has the lowest "Valued Added", "Estimated Wins Added", and 4rth worst in "True Shooting %". His "value added" and "estimated wins added" are so bad that they are actually negative (meaning he detracts). He also leads the league with the worst turnover ratio.

I believe Okie4570 got his salary numbers from www.spotrac.com so I used that site as well. Despite Perkins' dubious stat line, he has a higher salary than 9 out of the top 20 rated centers in the Player Efficiency stat. Specifically he earned more than the #1, #4, #11, #12, #13, #17, #18, #19, and the #20 ranked centers in the PER stat.

Adams has been are best pick up since getting Harden in 2009, besides that we've done nothing but swap the bench around for the most part. The front office needs to start seeking help for RW and KD pretty ferociously before this opportunity is gone.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hopes of what happens:

Ibaka comes back, and we get swept 4-0. The Spurs actually deserve it as much as it pains me to say it. We should have never gotten past Memphis, none the less the Clippers, we got LUCKY getting passed the Clippers. Do we have more talent than those 2, yes we do. Far from the Spurs though.

2 things happens if we get swept and Spurs move on:

1) Spurs beat the Heat (the Heat are really struggling this year; if the Heat even make it, Pacers are playing good ball right now). Pap and Duncan retire; Lebron moves on from the Heat, with a really good chance of going back to Cleveland.

2a) It forces the front office to finally do something. If we get swept, AND Ibaka is back, it looks HORRIBLE on Brooks. Everything will be evaluated, especially Brooks. We have the potential to be a championship team, but not under Brooks. He makes weak adjustments, and most often, they are too late. He should have sat Sef since the 2nd game he came back from injury, Butler should be starting instead, and rotating out with Lamb. As bad as Lamb is, he is putting in more quality minutes than Sef is, and that is very few. He (Brooks) doesn't get the team motivated, and it really seems like there is a lack of respect for him as a coach from the players. The offence Brooks runs, or lack of, is why we are so one dimensional. Dish the ball to KD or let RW charge the lane, then cry like a baby when he doesn't get a call, get a tech, and rinse and repeat. Issue with ditching Brooks is, who is available to replace him? Maybe Fisher, I don't know? There is no other reason for our team's collapse. We are shallow on the bench, but we have been much more consistent than we are playing as of late, it just really shows now. That is the entire purpose in a coach. When you get to teams like the Thunder, with elite talents, it is much less about the X's and O's of coming up with plays, and more of keeping players in the game, and on focus. Brooks can't do that with this team. Our lack of maturity starts with him. Brooks ALWAYS says we are a defense first team, which is bull ****. Look at defense orientated teams, 80-90 pts per game. The only time we are in games that low scoring, are when our oppts, like Memphis, slow it down on us, and force the game to be played like that, and we still choke too much then. We have almost ZERO defense. Watch the Bulls or the Pacers (even Memphis) if you want to see what a defensive team looks like.

2b)If Ibaka comes back and we don't get swept, probably nothing will happen because they will say "Oh, we probably would have got it if Ibaka didn't go down", then next year will be another repeat of what happened this year. A good regular season, and struggle in every game of the play off's. We'll pick up a few "defensive" players in the draft, but they won't make a difference with the style of play Brooks runs.

We need to dump the entire team EXCEPT for:
(this is assuming Fisher is leaving)

RW,KD, Serge, Collison, Adams, Butler, and Reggie. Everyone else needs to go. That gives you one year to decide to keep RW or not. The only way we should keep RW is if we change coach, or RW grows up quickly (doubt it since he hasn't changed in 6 years now).

Option 1 for off season this year, best option is to trade RW for 2 or 3 other players and draft picks, and move Reggie to starter. Sign Butler to a contract and dump Sef. (<-- free agent now) Keep Perk to rotate out with Adams. Dump Lamb, Jones, Tabeet, etc (who ever you can replace with the RW trade). Save your amnesty for another day.

Option 2 (I like the least) is trading for Kevin Love, which would cost us Serge, Jones, Lamb, and a first round pick. I think that would be moving the wrong direction for us. Losing Serge would come back to bite us worse than losing RW. Serge has more team value than RW. It will also put us over salary cap, and then would be luxury taxed, which is why I doubt this will happen. Clay B. is a cheap ass, and doesn't want to be taxed.

Option 3: Pick up a few draft picks, trade Tabeet for sure (if someone will actually take him), then which ever draft pick(s) make's the cut, replace from the bottom up in those positions.

Option 3 is the safest route, but it will also result in the least effect on next year's season, and we will pretty much be in the same position as next year. If they really want to make a difference in the team, trading RW is our best option. RW is at his most valuable time right now. He's healthy, and still young, and we can replace his salary with several other players and probably even a first round pick or two, depending on who we traded him to.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Perkins but I flat out don't understand the Perkins love fest. I understand that he adds a certain presence to the roster but I think we could do better. Since I skipped my workout today I have a little bit (ok, quite a bit) of time to dig a little further into the stats within the link I had found the other day.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c/page/2

Perkins has the lowest Player efficiency rating out of the leagues 62 active centers. And according to those stats he has the lowest "Valued Added", "Estimated Wins Added", and 4rth worst in "True Shooting %". His "value added" and "estimated wins added" are so bad that they are actually negative (meaning he detracts). He also leads the league with the worst turnover ratio.

I believe Okie4570 got his salary numbers from www.spotrac.com so I used that site as well. Despite Perkins' dubious stat line, he has a higher salary than 9 out of the top 20 rated centers in the Player Efficiency stat. Specifically he earned more than the #1, #4, #11, #12, #13, #17, #18, #19, and the #20 ranked centers in the PER stat.

Adams has been are best pick up since getting Harden in 2009, besides that we've done nothing but swap the bench around for the most part. The front office needs to start seeking help for RW and KD pretty ferociously before this opportunity is gone.

I just don't think we should waste our amnesty on Perk. Use him to rotate with Adams, and to pick up fouls. I think there is some value in Perk, but it will never be seen in numbers. It is what he brings to the floor with him. An attitude that we lack. He shouldn't be starting next year for sure. They also need to get him to cut about 20 lbs, it would really help his knees out, and help him get up and down the floor better for a few more years. I wouldn't mind seeing Perk finish out his contact out here, or even resigning him for a year or two, but for A LOT less. He's a 1-1.5m/yr player. Only reason we are paying him what we are is the minutes we are playing him. If he would be getting Fisher kind of minutes, we'd be paying him a lot less. He has helped us grow as a team though.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excat, I agree that Brooks is not going to get it done but trading Westbrook is lunacy. Just think about the Harden trade. Outside of money, are we better off with Harden or without? Trading one of the top talents in the league for unnamed players and draft picks is how you throw a franchise into the toilet and get fired.

I also agree about the ownership being cheap asses. They had better watch out though because if they aren't willing to pony up a little bit, KD and Westbrook will hit the road and attendance/sales will nose dive. We would actually find out if OKC can support an NBA franchise. It's easy to sell tickets and merchandise when you have stars. Not so much when have a bunch of nobody's like Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Denver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom