ID help S&W 38.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't have a lanyard ring and the stocks are wrong.
With a gun that has floated around as long as that one, and likely served from one side of the world to the other, and then back again...rebuilds upon rebuilds...there likely marks on it not posted which could tell a lot of its travels.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a gun that has floated around as long as that one, and likely served from one side of the world to the other, and then back again...rebuilds upon rebuilds...there likely marks on it not posted which could tell a lot of its travels.
All the serial numbers match: barrel, frame, and cylinder. The parts numbers match: yoke, frame, and side plate. The importers mark is the only extra mark I find.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help me ID this revolver. Born on date etc. Think it's a St. Albans P D pistol?
This is a quote on this particular gun and serial number from a friend who is a S&W Historian. I asked this question,
I believe SV was victory model there is no lanyard loop. End of war possibly? Oh, its .38 special.
His answer, "Yes, SV has the improved hammer safety block. That’s a late Victory".

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a quote on this particular gun and serial number from a friend who is a S&W Historian. I asked this question,
I believe SV was victory model there is no lanyard loop. End of war possibly? Oh, its .38 special.
His answer, "Yes, SV has the improved hammer safety block. That’s a late Victory".
Thanks. I do believe the grips are not original. It has some major pitting under the grips on the frame, too.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they had instances of them dropped on steel decks and discharging, the hammer block in all subsequent S&W revolvers until they went to frame mounted firing pins relatively recently, only circa a quarter century ago, on a gun design dating from latest 1800s. Historic gun design, and I wish I had every old one back I ever ditched, even the low rent Victory model far smoother and lighter than anything made today.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the serial numbers match: barrel, frame, and cylinder. The parts numbers match: yoke, frame, and side plate. The importers mark is the only extra mark I find.
I would have hoped for rebuild marks (of which I am not conversant) or ditto as for who all issued it. It nearly surely ended up exported since Century imported it. If it were mine, I'd be doing online searches on Victory models, I think rebuilts got some manner of paint instead of parkerize, depending upon when done and where, and would be looking for traces of paint such as around barrel pin etc in recesses. A gun that old near surely was rebuilt a few times, our military formerly had vast stores of parts for them, all sold off on surplus market.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I do believe the grips are not original. It has some major pitting under the grips on the frame, too.
The Magna grips surely are replacement, the Victory had the skimpy service panels which terminated in a half-moon matching gripframe cutouts. Pitting is par for the course, whether from sweaty hands, neglect, sea duty, whatever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom