Identify that car....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That mustag II ran a lot of different engines in it's time.
Like stated power to weight is a key element.
Dad's drinkin/ fishin buddy ran super gas class.
In a 425HP 396 chevelle. He ordered it in 1965..Yea the HP rating was not 425HP in the chevelle that was reserved for the vette but same engine.
He actually ordered a 67 also couple years later and stuck the 425HP 396 into it and stuck on headers and dual 4 intake and lightened it, sportin a 4 speed and 411 gears in super gas. he ran 9.8 at 140 shifting at 8000-8500 depending on track and weather.
Back then you did not have to weigh very much for the cubic inches.

I feel today that same engine would do very well. If you could afford the good gas.
It made 625 dyno verified HP at the crank.
625Hp to run 9.8,,, takes 700+ at the crank in a new car to pull that off. or 600 wheel in a fox body with a forced fed LS.

That above Dirty Dodge truck was my Dad's buddies and he stuck that 396" into it. To go kick some ass in the mid 1970's
But drinking got the best of him and he got lazy or was in over his head.

I got the truck in 1987 for 750 bucks with the 396 and the dual 4 intake etc.
Wife got pregnant I sold the 396.. sold the truck.
12 years later she purchased the truck back from my buddy as a birthday present..I stuck it on the road after 3 long months of building.
I have a 433" BBC for it but it has been sportin different SBC engines so far..I use it as a truck.
One day I will plant a BBC. I mocked one up already and made everything fit.
Until then I will continue to have great respect for all those old and new cars and drivers that can get them down the track in short time.
My best home built daily driver has only went 11.50 but SBC 350 NO power adder and on pump gas , sportin' cast crank and pistons and stock rods and bolts. Ported 186 heads.. One day I will go quick.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the Mustang II is running a 429.......can't remember who built it.....maybe Roush??
The pic I posted of the Sudden Death Mustang II came from the Hot Rod magazine feature. At the time, it was running a Gapp and Roush built 460ci motor that had been bored and stroked to yield 505ci. The car is still around, though its original owner has passed away.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 of the mustang II cobras and they were on the heavy side..I stuck a 350 Buick into one.
Thinking it would weigh less than the 72 Nova I had installed the same Buick into.
Nope it was heavier.. I scrapped the entire project.
The Nova never ran at the track The Buick had a huge cam in it would not idle less than 1200rpm and pulled ridiculous hard to 7200rpm with a 2 barrel..yes a 2 barrel..Ultimate sleeper.
I stuck a Carter AFB onto it that was on my 67 Chrysler newport custom 383 and the thing pulled 7200---7400---7600---EEEK I got scared and shifted it.
3600 stall and Firestone drag 500 29x12 x15 and it was wheels up and rear bumper almost on the ground..came crashing back to earth and busted the rear shock mounts clean off.
I swore off slicks for many years after that. I like wheelies but not quite that high.
I have beat up a lot of big blocks but I had gears and RPM and always lightened my cars.. tried to keep them under 3000 lbs with driver.
My 57 210 4 door is a heavy turd at 3800 lbs with driver.. with 370 gears is still lack luster.
That one Needs a Big Block.

Latest posts

Top Bottom