Idiot Mark!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dustin, I didn't know that was what it was called until I Googled it and see that's it quite common. It was written that 1911's are either idiot marked or waiting to be idiot marked.
This was my first big "fancy" piece and the first time I clean it I mark it. Had some trouble getting the recoil spring back in too. I see that people recommend putting the slide lock back in before the recoil spring. That little detent was causing me issues as well as fighting the spring tension.
I cleaned my STI Spartan today and didn't have a problem with it. :anyone:
I'll get over it, it's not really that bad.
It's not brushed stainless, but Flitz will help if I want to mess with it. I'm sure it will happen a few more times, but I will be much more careful in the future.

Don't sweat it Jason. My little fella has a light one or two. It just means it's been used. I haven't seen a 1911 that doesn't have one and wasn't in a display case. Plus, it's stainless. It could be gone in a jiffy.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't sweat it Jason. My little fella has a light one or two. It just means it's been used. I haven't seen a 1911 that doesn't have one and wasn't in a display case. Plus, it's stainless. It could be gone in a jiffy.

I can show you several; and well used also.:doh:;)

stainless is easy to get scratches out, dustins right.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know what an idiot mark was until I researched and found a pic on the net... Been shooting 1911's since the early 70's when uncle sam trained me on them. Mine still don't have any.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some slide stops for 1911's have a nifty bevel on the slide stop to reduce the possibility of such inadvertent re-assembly indicators.

Yeah! I didn't use the word "mark".

Seriously the mentioned "indicator" can be avoided by diligent use of an appropriate reassembly tool, such as a thin chunk of hard plastic. Metal such as a screw driver blade, dental pick or the like, can be used but carries the risk of a different undesirable reassembly indicator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom