If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oilfield workers have been making VERY good money for years. There's a reason, of course... dangerous, dirty work that requires people to be away from home for days or weeks at a time, requires hotel rooms and meals away from home, etc.

But saving hundreds each month myself, or close to a hundred for regular folks... ALL folks... it's a huge savings in the economy that can be spent elsewhere.

I say let it drop...

There used to be a heat map of Oklahoma with % income spent on fuel. Back in the $3/gal times lot of Okies were spending 20% of their income on fuel.

I know a lot of poorer people who are now able to do really helpful things in their life because they're not spending a **** ton of what little money they earn on fuel.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why no sympathy? I don't either but I'm wondering why you don't.

because I am "them". Quit Halliburton in '14, got hired back as a consultant shortly after then laid off as soon as it started slowing down. Havnt worked in over a year, no unemployment, just loving the time with my kiddos.

Every single person on those rigs made great money. I know dozens of guys without a high school diploma making $75k+ per year for YEARS.

They make enough money to put some back for times like this...and they ALL knew it was coming for some time. They chose to buy $50k fancy pants duramax pickups and build brand new $250k homes and are now all over social media crying about it. Well call me cold but boodee hoo hoo.

Just hope a lesson is learned for those having self created hard times.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because I am "them". Quit Halliburton in '14, got hired back as a consultant shortly after then laid off as soon as it started slowing down. Havnt worked in over a year, no unemployment, just loving the time with my kiddos.

Every single person on those rigs made great money. I know dozens of guys without a high school diploma making $75k+ per year for YEARS.

They make enough money to put some back for times like this...and they ALL knew it was coming for some time. They chose to buy $50k fancy pants duramax pickups and build brand new $250k homes and are now all over social media crying about it. Well call me cold but boodee hoo hoo.

Wow. Truth.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a neighbor whos just a kid (24 I think) says hes making 95K. Has all the toys....truck, Harley, boat, guns and spends like theres no tomorrow. I mentioned saving for retirement and he said hes got plenty of time for that later. We'll see.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah

Yup. True dat.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember a few years ago when gas was getting close to the 4 dollar range? The news was FULL of storys about how it impacted the price of milk, eggs, bread, etc. HHMMMM...I wonder why those prices aren't dropping.

I dunno...do shipping/transpo companies hedge fuel costs like the airlines? Hedging doesn't always work out for the best. If they locked in to a $3 per gallon price for a decade, then it would make sense that a short term drop in fuel prices would have little to no effect on the prices of shipped goods.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yup, had the opportunity several times to work for Halliburton and a few others. Always passed. My dad was very high up in Mobil/Exxon, making so much he didnt know what to do with it, till it went bust. I know guys like the ones ya
ll are talking about, and I have been telling em for years to save...bet they wish they would have listened to me now. Funny thing is, my oil change (self-serve) cost me the same this week as it did 2-3 years ago. How come motor oil doesnt drop in price?

Latest posts

Top Bottom