If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What amazes me is that people ***** when oil is up then ***** when tax revenue is down because oil is down and people stop spending money brought in by oil.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because I am "them". Quit Halliburton in '14, got hired back as a consultant shortly after then laid off as soon as it started slowing down. Havnt worked in over a year, no unemployment, just loving the time with my kiddos.

Every single person on those rigs made great money. I know dozens of guys without a high school diploma making $75k+ per year for YEARS.

They make enough money to put some back for times like this...and they ALL knew it was coming for some time. They chose to buy $50k fancy pants duramax pickups and build brand new $250k homes and are now all over social media crying about it. Well call me cold but boodee hoo hoo.

Just hope a lesson is learned for those having self created hard times.

These are my thoughts exactly. I know a bunch of people that spent way too much for years thinking it would never end.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What amazes me is that people ***** when oil is up then ***** when tax revenue is down because oil is down and people stop spending money brought in by oil.
Yeah, people don't grasp how far oil prices reach or the overall economic impact an oil bust can have.

Hate the reality all you want, but we need a MUCH more diverse economy than we have before an oil bust can be called a "good thing". Unless you're an *******. And by we I mean the U.S. and Canada. And Oklahoma.

I don't feel bad for broke rig trash with diesel debt either, but that's completely seperate from the fact that we live in a state in a country on a continent where the modern economy grew side by side with the oil industry coupled with the fact non-petroleum related manfacturing jobs have went bye bye. Broke rednecks are not the picture of the econic impact.

But hey, the poorest of the minimum-wage poor people OSA loves to hate have a couple extra bucks for cigarettes while the layoffs come down the pipe for the "hard workers" we love to praise.

I swear I think most people here hate anyone that's not exactly like them. And every form of dialouge that's not oversimplification.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im still buying 91 all gas in my DD GMC SUV w/V8 and in my hotrods. Have a cool app on my phone to find stations with all gas options. I dont even look at the price any more. I drive all over the place and put alot of miles on my DD. Just put my card in at the pump and go on. I dont drive any more or less than when it was lower. I have to go where Im going anyways so I have to buy it at whatever price it is. The wifes lil CR-V she uses to commute in to Tulsa she runs QTs 87+corn gas and even tho she gets great mileage and she is loving this on her commuter budget her company isnt exactly selling as many of their units to refineries right now either. She and a few of the other higher paid employees upstairs are voluntarily taking certain days off during the week until things get better. 30 years on the job same company the wife has seen these times in the oil industry come and go before and she knows when to go in to turn down mode on her budget. As a mineral rights owner with oil investments, along with 75% of my income being totally wiped away right now the wife is now taking days off and at her salary its a pretty big hit. Thankfully we save and Im a natural born cheap basturd so we're ready just for exactly these times, we know we're extremely lucky to have what we have and it all be paid off, house paid off, cars paid, I recently sold a business, etc, so we're in really good shape, but it still sucks for alot of our friends and family who either work in the field, the office, or like me live on the proceeds of it. It sucks but I aint bitchin, some have it worse.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Hate the reality all you want, but we need a MUCH more diverse economy than we have before an oil bust can be called a "good thing".

It just might be that the oil bust is the very thing that stimulates and accelerates the development of that very necessary much more diverse economy(in Oklahoma at least).

A good place to start would be following the Colorado diversification model.:wink2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just might be that the oil bust is the very thing that stimulates and accelerates the development of that very necessary much more diverse economy(in Oklahoma at least).
Yeah, it worked wonders for diversifying our economy in the '80s. And every other bust in the boom/bust cycle.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Yeah, it worked wonders for diversifying our economy in the '80s. And every other bust in the boom/bust cycle.

It ain't the 80's anymore. Maybe it's time to smarten up, instead of repeating the same mistakes of the past. Letting the Green Rush pass us by will be one of the biggest mistakes Okies ever make.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It ain't the 80's anymore. Maybe it's time to smarten up, instead of repeating the same mistakes of the past. Letting the Green Rush pass us by will be one of the biggest mistakes Okies ever make.
Im in... Im retireded pretty much so if and when the wife retires within this decade and if it aint happened here yet I want to seriously consider moving next door to CO or at least have a solid 2nd place there. We're there quite a bit as it is so it might be even cooler to be living there in our own place instead of renting a place for a few weeks a month. Just sayin', theyre having alot of fun over there...

Latest posts

Top Bottom