If you had $800 to spend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the $800 were only for a watch, and a new one I would be considering the following in this order:

1) Christopher Ward Diver
2) Zelos Diver GMT (pretty much all they make)
3) Hamilton Murph Watch
4) Ocean Crawler Bolt
5) Squale Diver
6) Seiko Alpinest GMT

Used opens up a whole new world of watches to consider.

For the most Value, spend $800 on a Zelos, put it away for two months, then sell it on Ebay for $1,000 or more, buy another watch.

If it were $800 their are plenty of firearms or optics I would like to get and that would be an entirely different conversation.

I knew you would have some great suggestions ! - A Squale did cross my mind too, but i didnt even think about a Christopher Ward - a Trident Pro would definitely be in this price category

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this list. I have a Squale and have looked hard at the CW and a murph.
Curios on your take on the Zelos. Do you see the value going up and why?
They only release in patches of 100 to 250 at a time, and typically sell out within a day or two. They use quality materials, look good, and the machining of the case and bracelets is much better than most microbrands and some larger companies. All the bracelets use screws, not pins and the clasps have micro-adjustments and are machined, not stamped. The lume is superior too. Movements are the Venerable Seiko NH34 or Miyota GMT or Sellita and appear to be accurized. As for ebay most sold there when new go for more than on the Zelos website. Want a quality diver that has a heavy, luxurious feel? With Zelos you will not be disappointed, especially if you get one new. I currently have two, and have resisted the urge to buy a third, then regretted not buying it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have been curious about them and have looked before. Just spent some time on their site and I like what I see. They have a lot of dials with teal or blue colors. That my wife’s favorite colors and she has enjoyed looking at them too

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had $800 to spend I would put it on bills as far as it would go. :P
A noble thing to do. Be happy, you do not have the watch sickness for which there is no vaccine or cure. However you may be happy to know you may find a treasure at garage sales. I had found a Luminox Navy Seals in great shape a garage sale for only $10. I have found other nice watches for around the same price.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont understand the fascination with high dollar watches. If its as an investment, thats one thing. But what does a $800 plus dollar watch do that a nice Timex doesn't?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont understand the fascination with high dollar watches. If its as an investment, thats one thing. But what does a $800 plus dollar watch do that a nice Timex doesn't?
Look better and get more ohhhs and ahhs. Although some Timex's are very well regarded. More expensive watches are great conversation starters. It's like having a nice sports car, although the chevy may get you back and forth to work, the sports car does it in style.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Great question and the answer is simple, nothing. I have timexes too. Watches can make decent investments if you’re willing to put in the time. Watches worth hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars can be found at garage sales and estate sales. I could make money on every watch I own. Sometimes it’s a few bucks and sometimes it’s a few hundred.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same thing that applies to higher end guns. A $500 Rock Island 1911 will kill you just as dead and shoot just as accurate as a $1500 Colt 1911, but most people want a Colt over Rock Island. It's the pride of ownership.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same thing that applies to higher end guns. A $500 Rock Island 1911 will kill you just as dead and shoot just as accurate as a $1500 Colt 1911, but most people want a Colt over Rock Island. It's the pride of ownership.
"Cant disagree. I have a Tisas that is just as tight as my Colt. It doesnt quite have the 'feel' of he Colt, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom