Illegal Interstate Transfer of a Handgun. Will anyone actually do anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not see the illegality here. You are alluding to several shady things without giving us the whole story. However, the specific question of: man asks son from another state to buy a gun and bring to said other state to give to the dad is not an illegal transfer of a gun across state lines. Is there a 4473 involved on the sons end? I could see a problem in that case. Is the purchase an effort to conceal the true recipient of the firearm? I could see a problem in that case as well.

Now, since thats out of the way. Whats the rest of the story?

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. It is a straw purchase if the recipient is a prohibited person and the buyer knows this. That is NOT what I am talking about here. Although that could in fact be the case, I am not aware of it.

It is also a straw purchase if the buyer is not the actual buyer of the firearm. There is no requirement for either party to be a prohibited person.

Dad: "Hey son, Here's $500, go buy me XXX" = Straw Purchase regardless if dad is prohibited or not.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are genuinely concerned about the threat turning into something real I would call.

If you just want to tell I would stay out of it. I mean really who "wants" to talk to the ATF.

Latest posts

Top Bottom