Illegal Interstate Transfer of a Handgun. Will anyone actually do anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law is clear: it is an illegal transfer.
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-21.pdf
An unlicensed (no FFL) person is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an unlicensed individual in another state. The only exception is bequests. Transfer can be done through an FFL.

As to anything being done, it is a felony if caught. I used to shoot skeet with the mid-Atlantic regional ATF director, and he said it was one of the most frequent violations, and they knew many were not caught. However, he said they do prosecute all they catch.
"Did you ever go fishing? Did you ever catch them ALL?"

I sometimes have someone pop off in OK Carry Class that they intend to do an illegal transfer, and I make sure EVERYONE in the room knows the laws and penalties. After that, they are on their own.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe the sh*t some are giving a guy who is merely trying to understand and follow the law, and I say that despite being personally inconvenienced by this type of situation.
Right now I am in the process of transferring a revolver to a relative in Texas through my local FFL and my relatives local FFL. Why? Well, to comply with the law and to insure that if my relative should ever have to use that revolver in self-defense and should there be questions as to the weapon's origin, I wouldn't be putting my own flesh and blood in the position of either contemplating lying or pleading the 5th.

Last edited:

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe the sh*t some are giving a guy who is merely trying to understand and follow the law, and I say that despite being personally inconvenienced by this type of situation.
Right now I am in the process of transferring a revolver to a relative in Texas through my local FFL and my relatives local FFL. Why? Well, to comply with the law and to insure that if my relative should ever have to use that revolver in self-defense and should there be questions as to the weapon's origin, I would be putting my own flesh and blood in the position of either contemplating lying or pleading the 5th.

LOL you truly can't believe ppl are giving Ratski chit?

LMAO.... how long have you been around here?

Bwahahahahahha

Alvindadio

Reloader
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that the situation is dealing with the sharpest knives in the drawer, but I am amused by the text message comment. Does anybody think text messages are secure? It would be crazy to talk about anything like that with texting.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is a blatant illegal Interstate transfer of a handgun.

It is obviously aimed at avoiding a paperwork trail.

I know it is an illegal transfer.
What I want to know if if ATF and the Local authorities will actually DO anything once the transfer has occurred and they are alerted to the fact.

Let me say this again:
This IS NOT a money problem.
This is NOT a oops I didn't know problem.
This IS an illegal transfer of a handgun ACROSS state lines.

Dave

I can't believe the sh*t some are giving a guy who is merely trying to understand and follow the law.

It seems he already understands the law, but is just looking to see how much trouble he can get this guy into.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only talk about blowing chit up with tannerite on text.

LOL. Yeah but that aint illegal.

It seems he already understands the law, but is just looking to see how much trouble he can get this guy into.

This is the way I took it also. There are many people on the board that seem misinformed about the law though.

I picked up all I know about Firearms Laws at gunshows. Endless source of knowledge all for the cost of the entry fee. Cant beat it. It is all that and a bag of chips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom