I'm doing something wrong but don't know what!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still new to reloading and have only loaded approximately 250 rounds of 6.5 Grendel. The first 200 were virgin brass and didn't have any problems. The last 50 (brass shot 1x) is a different story. I loaded them and one of the got stuck in the chamber. I was told to get a case gauge to make sure the brass was properly resized. I pulled apart the 50 rounds and they were not resized properly. Ran them through the dies once again and tested them with the gauge and they easily fit into it and were the proper length. Bthe rim of the brass is even with the lower edge of the gauge.

Anyway, I went to shoot on Saturday and they are getting stuck in the chamber again. If I load from a magazine, the chamber doesn't fully close and I have to slam the stock on the ground and pull the charging handle at the same time.

However, if I load one round into the chamber and hit the bolt release it fully engages and shoots fine...95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, it does the same thing.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your 50 once fired should be full length resized because they were not fired from your gun first. I full length resize only once and then neck size only after that. Make sure your die was set properly and your case length is good. New brass should fit ALL gun chambers, used brass is fire formed to the gun that it was shot out of.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thoughts:

Be sure that you are truly "Full length" resizing the brass. Check you die instruction sheet. Measure case length and trim if needed. Ensure the COL isn't too long, although if the round fits in the mag, it's unlikely.

In addition to the case gauge you have, try (In a safe place) chambering all of the (re) loaded rounds from magazine by releasing the bolt release. Feel for resistance when extracting the unfired cartridges and inspect for evidence of friction. blacken any friction areas with a Sharpie and rechamber to get a better idea of what's going on.

If there's an interferance fit, inspect your chamber for reamer marks or fouling. I've never messed with 6.5 Grendel, but wonder if it- being a relatively new cartridge, has some issues with chambering reamer and reloading die tolerances, like the .458 SOCOM.

As usual, re-confirming the basics usually resolves reloading problems.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe the trim length.
Are you trimming the brass to length?

I haven't needed to trim yet...the brass has not expanded to surpass the maximum COL.

Are you checking the rounds in the gauge loaded or just after sizing?

I checked them all of them after sizing and also tested some after seated the bullet.

IIRC, the neck sizing rule doesn't work with semi auto guns, you still have to full length resize every time.

Yeah...I full length resize them.

Sounds like the shoulder isn't being pushed back enough when full length sizing.

What's the easiest way to tell if the shoudler is being pushed all the way?

Thoughts:

Be sure that you are truly "Full length" resizing the brass. Check you die instruction sheet. Measure case length and trim if needed. Ensure the COL isn't too long, although if the round fits in the mag, it's unlikely.

In addition to the case gauge you have, try (In a safe place) chambering all of the (re) loaded rounds from magazine by releasing the bolt release. Feel for resistance when extracting the unfired cartridges and inspect for evidence of friction. blacken any friction areas with a Sharpie and rechamber to get a better idea of what's going on.

If there's an interferance fit, inspect your chamber for reamer marks or fouling. I've never messed with 6.5 Grendel, but wonder if it- being a relatively new cartridge, has some issues with chambering reamer and reloading die tolerances, like the .458 SOCOM.

As usual, re-confirming the basics usually resolves reloading problems.

I cleaned the rifle last night and did not see any sort of interferance but I will try the sharpie trick to see if it shows anything.

Thanks for everyone's advice...please keep it coming so I can get this figured out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom