I'm doing something wrong but don't know what!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say that the brass has not expanded to exceed the COL, you are aware that the COL is the loaded cartridge overall lenght, right? You should measure the cases with a set of callipers to verify the case length is in spec. Make sure that you are setting the dies up correctly to fully size the entire case.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for good measure I'd really do a scrub down on the chamber with a chamber brush and some solvent. If the problem still persists then I'd suspect the shoulder being pushed back when to
Are seating the bullet. Are you chamfering the casem mouth? Are the projo's boat tail or flat base?

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were they Wolf brass? I've read that they were not very good quality brass and might be hard to reload, but I am not a reloader just trying to get my Grendel build done.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for good measure I'd really do a scrub down on the chamber with a chamber brush and some solvent. If the problem still persists then I'd suspect the shoulder being pushed back when to
Are seating the bullet. Are you chamfering the casem mouth? Are the projo's boat tail or flat base?

I'm using 123g Sierra Matchkings, so they're boat tail. Since I didn't need to trim the brass, I didn't chamfer the case mouth on this batch of ammo.

What would cause the shoulder to be pushed back when seating the bullet...seating die screwed too far into the press?

Were they Wolf brass? I've read that they were not very good quality brass and might be hard to reload, but I am not a reloader just trying to get my Grendel build done.

I'm using Laupa brass.

You'll love the Grendel, its a great round...as long as someone is able to reload it properly :).

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would cause the shoulder to be pushed back when seating the bullet...seating die screwed too far into the press?
Neck tension. Unless you anneal your brass... Every time you fire the case the neck gets stiffer (this problem gets exacerbated the in cartridges with steep necks). The neck gets too tight and when seating the bullet it pushes down in he neck.

As long as you have confirmed a clean chamber then I'd try chamfering the case neck and not too over zealous when seating the projo on a couple and see where that gets ya

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The exact thing happened to me when loading for my AR in .243WSSM.
Thinking my RCBS dies were defective, I called the company.
They told me that If I'm getting cases that will chamber, but stick when trying to eject them, that I need to give the sizing die another 1/8th of a turn.
I did it, and have not had any problems since. A co-worker was having the same problem, with his AR in .223. He did the same that I did, and his problems went away.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you screw the seating die down to touch the shell holder? It sounds like you are crimping it way to much while bullet seating. To set your seating die:

1) Place an empty case in the shell holder and raise the ram all the way up.
2) Screw the die down until you feel it touch on the crimp groove, then back it out 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn and lock it down.
3) Then adjust your seating stem to get the OAL you are needing.

If you want a crimp do it as a separate operation. Your results will be much better this way.

centurion32

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the same problem. Dont know if they make a small base sizing die for the 6.5 but I bet that will fix it. A small base sizing die will take the brass back to original factory specs. Just a tad smaller than a regular die. If it was the shoulder then the bolt wouldnt close all the way, and if it fits in your checker correctly then the headspace/shoulder is good.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I tried a little bit of everything and got it figured out. I loaded 50 rounds and tried them out at Banner earlier today with zero problems or failures.

Thanks again...you guys rock!

Latest posts

Top Bottom