Im so confused

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok so im going to get a press for christmas and want a dillon and i went online to buy it and im confused to weather or not everything it seems like you need you really need. should i buy just the press from then then go elsewhere for dies and such or buy all together? should i get one with caliber conversion or with out?

This i what i have in my shopping cart so far

Press
spare parts kit
case gauge
strong mount
deburring tool
tool holder
bullet puller

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To give any meaningful advice it would be helpful to know what your are going to reload for. And how many rounds do you plan on shooting per day/week/month. For instance.....If you are going to be shooting pistols and shooting 200- 500 rounds per week that might mean a Dillon. On the other hand if you are going to shoot Benchrest and shooting 100- 200 rounds per month that means a whole different setup. Explain please.

Donald

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

You can live without the spare parts kit as Dillon will send you any part that fails, you just might have to wait a couple days. Also, the tool holder is neat, but not necessary. What press are you looking at? What calibers do you want to load? Do you plan to do long runs of one cartridge, or smaller runs of different ones and plan to constantly switch from one cartridge to another?

I prefer Redding Pro Series dies myself to Dillon and they are only about $10 more. Many people get buy on the much cheaper Lee dies.

Good luck,

Alan

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Add calipers, powder scale and possibly a 0-1" micrometer to the list if you don't have them. Also a good reloading manual or three.

I would also go with the Redding pro-series dies. They are awesome. Go to Brian Enos' site and order it from him. He has alot of info on how the different Dillon presses stack up and anything over a $400 order gets free shipping.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it will be 223 and 45 mainly 223 for practical rifle and plinking already have calipers.
im looking at 550b

That will be a good one. I believe that's what RustyZX9 has and he loads a crapload of ammo on it. I just bought a 650 a few months ago.

Seriously, check out brianenos.com and his forum. There is tons and tons of info over there.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 550b I have had for 20 + years, I load everything on it except my hunting loads or bech rest rifle loads. They just sent me a new case shelf that broke no BS. I will probabbly load 5-10,000 rounds over the winter

Latest posts

Top Bottom