Immigration Reform Looming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And Rand Paul and Ted Cruz say they would have voted against the civil rights act too.
No wonder Republicans have to suppress the minority vote.

They are making a very good constitutional argument that you have a right to freedom of association. Now while I agree with the civil rights act I get pissed when someone is asked to leave a place because they have a gun yet they cant be asked to leave because they are wearing a burka. We either are free or we are not.

If I were black I would not want to go to a place just to make trouble if I were not wanted there. Look how gays are trying to find anyplace like an INN or cake shop they can find that does not want to sanction their marriage. Basically the same things the civil rights movement did.

The civil rights movement is a great example on why we need to fight even small gun control. You give some people an inch they will push for a mile.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also on the civil rights act. Are people safer in our streets today than before the civil rights act? .

FBI statistics prove that we are "safer" than we were in the '60s. I'm not sure what you're insinuating. If black people were still classifiable as second class citizens would we be any safer? Would we be safer if, you know, we'd kept them in their place?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at what your own link says. "Democrats complain about Nixon's Southern Strategy, but don't complain about the previous hundred years." Where did that leave us in 1964 or 1968? That's the issue. People have stated in this thread that the Republicans have been the party of civil rights. Not for a VERY long time, they haven't. And again, the Republicans who voted for the Civil Rights act are mostly considered RINOs today, maybe not by you, but by a bunch of folks around here.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that America is a much better place than in the 50s or 60s. Less crime, fewer unwed mothers, greater literacy among blacks and whites, fewer people relying on taxpayer earnings, schools have certainly benefitted from integration, as the classrooms are much more manageable. Our culture has no doubt been enriched by the strong family values, and importance of fatherhood, that was formerly lacking in our "white" culture. In music, art and literature, our country as a whole can now be seen by the world to be first-class, no longer trailing in science and industry.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a whole can o worms right there.
Why did we ever let them black folk over here anyhow?
That was our first mistake. Lettin them blacks immigrate over here.
They come over here, and they didn't have no family values.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a whole can o worms right there.
Why did we ever let them black folk over here anyhow?
That was our first mistake. Lettin them blacks immigrate over here.
They come over here, and they didn't have no family values.

I don't think they had much choice in the matter, not that that has anything to do with our current situation. What we need is a solution, a real and viable solution, regardless of whose feelings get hurt, or who feels "marginalized". What we are/have been doing is what got us here today. So either all is well, or we've screwed up somewhere. You pick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom