Immigration Reform Looming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah but a second generation should know english. If they do not there would be reasonable suspicion in some states they could be illegal. Now I will say 100% stopping someone just because they are latino is wrong and they did fix sb1070 so that was not the basis for why people would be stopped.
If a LEO sees a hispanic looking dude hanging out in the parking lot at lowes how does he know he can't speak english to justify asking for his papers in the first place?

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is wrong and voter suppression and I dont agree with it. I dont agree with all the early voting either though. You want to give the party of hand outs a vote you stand in line and vote. You cant oh well. I stood in line to vote.

What now we have affirmative action in voting?
You could take advantage of early voting if you chose to. I generally vote early and I'm about as white as anybody.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So what would be wrong with allowing a "legal" status pathway that does not include any path to citizenship without first departing and restarting the clock? My mother has lived her whole life here as a permanent resident (legal) alien and suffers no discrimination on that basis. Sometimes she complains about this or that issue of politics and I tell her to stop complaining and become a citizen or else leave the voting to citizens (I say it in a respectful way - she is my mother) and she gets it.
The legal status would stop, or at least minimize, the exploitation vulnerability of those in the shadows while not devaluing what it means to be a citizen of the United States, vice being a guest - no matter for how long - a distinction that is critical to maintain. Such a system would also respect the rule of law by neither punishing those who do follow the existing system nor rewarding those who have violated the laws for years.

The liberals wont go for it. I could get behind that, but the liberals demand citizenship because of the votes

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Florida, Ohio, Texas,.... Lots of Republican controlled states tried to impede minority voting in 2012.
On the other hand you have to construct a straw man argument out of what Robert Byrd did in the 1940's.

If I was a minority I wouldn't even consider voting Republican.

Ok lets use your argument with illegal immigration. Most illegals are minority . You see why minorities wont support republicans. You should see why republicans wont support them. Kind of like nothing democrats have done in several years help white, christian, straight males.

It is really disgusting, but both parties do that. Just seems on guns and a couple other issues republicans dont want to turn our once great nation into a liberal cesspool. Always lesser of two evils lately.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is hilarious echo-chamber stuff. Byrd was alone among the Dixiecrats who stayed in the Democratic Party after The Civil Rights Act. What did the rest of them do? Thurman, Stennis, Wallace, Maddox, Conally... what did those guys do? They left the Democratic Party for their true home in the Republican party.

Who are the Republicans who agreed with the Civil Rights act. The Rockefellers and Romneys, the people who would be considered RINOs today.

The People you might consider REAL Republicans? Well, Goldwater, for example, voted against the Civil Rights Act.

Gov Wallace remained a Democrat? I have not checked the others but I am pretty sure maddox did as well.

Also on the civil rights act. Are people safer in our streets today than before the civil rights act? I am sure no one really wants to answer that question, but look up crime rates from around the time of the civil rights act over time. You will see there have been periods it went down, but the 50s were our golden age. You can look at detroits history as proof of that thesis. Sorry if that offends anyone, but as Pat Moynihan ( D-NY) once said "We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts". There are some in the black community who have also noted that illegitimacy rates, fatherless homes and things have gotten worse since the civil rights act and so called war on poverty.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is wrong and voter suppression and I dont agree with it. I dont agree with all the early voting either though. You want to give the party of hand outs a vote you stand in line and vote. You cant oh well. I stood in line to vote.

What now we have affirmative action in voting?
If we could force everyone to vote in one day without enough voting machines we could force long long lines at the voting booth. Wouldn't that be great?
I've seen those long lines in some of the Florida counties but they always seem to have an abundance of voting machines in the rich white counties. No waiting.

Since Florida can't afford more voting machines early voting seems like a reasonable way to let everyone vote and not have taxpayers spend a lot of money on
new voting machines.

Imagine that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom