Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh... Just carry 9mm +P+, it's almost as good since .357Sig is watered down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+P+ 9mm doesn't even equal the crappiest 125gn 357 Sig Wal-Mart WWB. Keep in mind that EVERY standard 125gr 357 Sig round has 506 ft/lbs of muzzle energy not just the high end designer loads. If you want to count high end designer loads like 9mm +P+/357 Sig using cherry picked loads from Double Tap, Grizzly etc. the gap widens further.

It's as silly as claiming the 357 Sig is an actual replacement for the 357 Magnum and not looking at anything other than the lightest 125 grain 357 magnum offerings.

...Rant off... Carry on...

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hardware solutions to solve software issues is a losing game. The one thing in common for every successful shooting are effective hits with adequate penetration.
Knock down power is a myth for handgun cartridges. If one fourth the time spent arguing over what round is better than some other round was spent learning how and where to put holes in a target to facilitate immediate incapacitation we would be well ahead of the game. Instead, we entertain our lazy selves with fights about what is arguably well down the priority list. It is this kind of thinking that allows companies like RIP ammo to make a buck.
Im not saying 357 sig or .40 is a lost cause at least until i see how well someone can use it, under stress, in less than ideal conditions, against a diffcult to hit target. I know of peeps who are exceedingly effective with the .40 and 357 sig. But caliber selection isnt the difference between them doing effective work or failing.
Anyone who expects to rely on a hand gun to stop violence owes it to themselves to find the combination of weapon, sights and ammo that is most effective for them. You wont get that insight by reading the numbers off a box of ammo, or from some article in the gun rag of the week.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty funny, as a VMware administrator I tell people to quit throwing hardware at soft problems on a daily basis.. I agree, you make valid points on all counts.

Round trip I drive 175 miles per day to/from work. If I looked at my situation on paper, I'd be best served by a 4 cylinder Civic or Camry but I drive a Mustang GT. Why? Because I dig the hell out of it. Guns are no different. Even if a 9mm is perfectly fine "which it is" I'll still carry my Glock 23 with a 357 Sig barrel. Why? Because I dig the hell out of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious. If you choose .40 over 9mm, why not carry a 10mm or .41 Mag instead?

Why not a .44 Auto mag?

The answer to your question is concealment around here. When I go to Alaska in the bear country, I OC a .44 mag with handloads that will rock your world.

So, to answer your question, its where are you at and what is appropriate for that location?

Bear country, or urban thugs? Oc or CC?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+P+ 9mm doesn't even equal the crappiest 125gn 357 Sig Wal-Mart WWB. Keep in mind that EVERY standard 125gr 357 Sig round has 506 ft/lbs of muzzle energy not just the high end designer loads. If you want to count high end designer loads like 9mm +P+/357 Sig using cherry picked loads from Double Tap, Grizzly etc. the gap widens further.

It's as silly as claiming the 357 Sig is an actual replacement for the 357 Magnum and not looking at anything other than the lightest 125 grain 357 magnum offerings.

...Rant off... Carry on...

I didn't say it was the same as .357sig. The operative word was "almost". 9mm Winchester Ranger 127+P+ ran the same out of my G19 as Sig's premium 125 grain HP ammo did our of my G33. At least over my chrono it did. Sure the barrel on the G33 is a bit shorter, but not a lot, maybe 50fps based on my experience.

If you want to put up with the extra recoil, blast, noise, and less capacity for a very small gain, go right ahead. A .355 dia. 125 grain bullet at 1250 doesn't care what case it is launched from or what's stamped on the slide, it's still a 125 running at 1250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not a .44 Auto mag?

The answer to your question is concealment around here. When I go to Alaska in the bear country, I OC a .44 mag with handloads that will rock your world.

So, to answer your question, its where are you at and what is appropriate for that location?

Bear country, or urban thugs? Oc or CC?

Because 10mm is available in small, concealable, standardized-platform pistols...and .44 Auto Mag is not. Bears are another topic altogether. The question remains, if you think .40 provides any benefit over 9mm, why would you not take advantage of the opportunity to use a 10mm instead?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is a point of diminishing return on the bad manners people are willing to put up with on any given round. For some it's 9mm, others handle the 10mm without issue. Run what you like. Going from one extreme to full on ridiculous the other direction is silly. Why not carry 50 Action Express or a 22 then? If I was in certain parts of the country I'd certainly prefer a full power 10mm.

To say a .355 dia. 125 grain bullet at 1250 doesn't care what case it is launched from is flat out wrong because a 357 sig isn't traveling that slow; 9mm +P+ is. That extra heat behind a 357 Sig does mean something. Does the little 5.56 or 22 Mag know it's not a 22 LR?

Latest posts

Top Bottom