Is it time? AR-15 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try to squeeze out a little more out of the budget and get this and be done with it. I have found that most of my friends buy cheap and then want to get a top-teir AR, so I would start here after saving a bit more cashola. Just an opinion, there is also good advice on here with a budget build.

https://www.coppercustom.com/shop/rifles/bcm-mid-16-mod-0-5-56/

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The direct impingement gas system wasn't meant to be used in a carbine...if you want something with AK-like reliability in a carbine then get a Sig 556 swat patrol. If you still want the AR platform, then get a Sig 516...yes, these rifles will cost twice as much but for the reason you are undoubtedly buying it for, reliability is worth something vs something you can't stop and clean every few hundred rounds (high-maintenance). Something that will go bang for thousands of rounds without cleaning is better insurance; both of the rifles I mentioned above can do that.

torture tests begin about 6min into the vid for those who r in a hurry

However, if I was going to try and get an off-the-shelf AR carbine in a low-mid price range, I'd probably be considering Windham Weaponry; Academy used to carry them for about 800sh bux.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have the funds..and can do it with out missing rent...why wait for the next Sandy Hook.. there are a lot budget AR's out there for 600'ish.. most AR's are mill-spec so aside from names you should expect at least a military acceptable standard of quality...

Not trying to argue or be a "know it all", but most AR's are not mil-spec. A lot of the budget rifles use 4140 steel and non-chrome-lined barrels (mil-spec calls for 4150 steel and chrome lining). Most budget AR's use 6061 aluminum for the receiver extension (mil-spec calls for 7075). Most budget AR's use Bolts that are randomly tested (1 in 10) or not tested at all (mil-spec calls for all Bolts to be magnafluxed and high-pressure tested).

Unless you run your AR very hard, that vast majority of us will probably never see any difference between a true mil-spec AR and a budget brand. I believe that is the point you were trying to make.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The direct impingement gas system wasn't meant to be used in a carbine...if you want something with AK-like reliability in a carbine then get a Sig 556 swat patrol. If you still want the AR platform, then get a Sig 516...yes, these rifles will cost twice as much but for the reason you are undoubtedly buying it for, reliability is worth something vs something you can't stop and clean every few hundred rounds (high-maintenance). Something that will go bang for thousands of rounds without cleaning is better insurance; both of the rifles I mentioned above can do that.

torture tests begin about 6min into the vid for those who r in a hurry

However, if I was going to try and get an off-the-shelf AR carbine in a low-mid price range, I'd probably be considering Windham Weaponry; Academy used to carry them for about 800sh bux.

Not even close to true. AR-15 carbines have existed since before there was any such thing as an M-16, and before it was even adopted as a U.S. service rifle. There is nothing about the direct impingement (more accurately "fixed piston, moveable cylinder" according to Gene Stoner) action that make it work any less well in a carbine. AR carbines are extremely reliable when proper materials, testing, and quality control are used. I'll see your SIG torture test and raise you a BCM Filthy 14 and the epic torture test Daniel Defense did on their DDM4.

Not trying to argue or be a "know it all", but most AR's are not mil-spec. A lot of the budget rifles use 4140 steel and non-chrome-lined barrels (mil-spec calls for 4150 steel and chrome lining). Most budget AR's use 6061 aluminum for the receiver extension (mil-spec calls for 7075). Most budget AR's use Bolts that are randomly tested (1 in 10) or not tested at all (mil-spec calls for all Bolts to be magnafluxed and high-pressure tested).

Unless you run your AR very hard, that vast majority of us will probably never see any difference between a true mil-spec AR and a budget brand. I believe that is the point you were trying to make.

I agree 100% with all of this. The point I was trying to make earlier is that if you build, you can have a rifle that adheres to the mil specs for the same price as one of the budget guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom