It's time for a sighting rest / shooting rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I'm just a cheap redneck......been using old jean legs filled with sand and a couple of cinder blocks for over forty years.
I've tried the sand bag jeans trick but with this really narrow forearm it just doesn't work with this gun, appreciate the conversation though

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not hold the front of the rifle with left hand.
If you put a thumb on the barrel when shooting it will pull the shot.
Different pressure on stock will pull the shot.
Strap over the barrel will not duplicate what will happen in field shooting.
That's an excellent tip & I know I'm guilty of doing it
Good for sighting in a scope as you can secure the rifle and keep it from moving when adjusting turrets.
But the rounds will not impact the same exact place using it vs shouldering on bags or field shooting.
I hadn't really considered the difference of poi in the field after using a mechanical rest to sight in...

Lot's to chew on in my head after all this info

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember how many lbs of beads it took to fill your bags?

Amazon has 15lbs bags of the beads but they want like $50 that plus the price of the bag puts it back into mechanical rest prices.

I'd use sand but it would probably be messy and leak at the seams
Looks like about 18 pounds I settled it a few times over a couple months and added more ! Did you buy Master Carper’s set up he had posted

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a poorly built shooting position, you’re not finding your natural point of aim and recoil management are your issues.

Spending money on these massive shooting rest devices are, in my opinion, like a democrat throwing money at something. It never gets to the root or solves the problem. Unless, maybe if the shooter has medical issues.

Every issue you mentioned above is easily fixable with a proper shooting foundation and trigger time.

I cannot stress this enough, you are the driver of the weapon system. Body placement is very important, consistent shoulder/cheek weld, breathing, natural point of aim, trigger control, and follow through (Recoil management).

With a properly built foundation, be it with a bipod/rear bag, front/rear bag, a solid and COMFORTABLE cheek weld, all mated to your natural point of aim (NPA), your cross hairs will be rock solid. In this position you’re not muscling the weapon system to a desired POA. You have established the POA via your bodies/weapons NPA. Without this you are constantly adding unnecessary muscle tension into your shot due to forced POA. This forced POA causes you to constantly “chase the bull” with your cross hair.

You can practice this at home WITH AN EMPTY WEAPON. If you can dry fire your rifle without damaging it, I highly suggest it. In the Marine Corps I have literally spent days upon days doing nothing but dry firing.

Good luck.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a poorly built shooting position, you’re not finding your natural point of aim and recoil management are your issues.

Spending money on these massive shooting rest devices are, in my opinion, like a democrat throwing money at something. It never gets to the root or solves the problem. Unless, maybe if the shooter has medical issues.

Every issue you mentioned above is easily fixable with a proper shooting foundation and trigger time.

I cannot stress this enough, you are the driver of the weapon system. Body placement is very important, consistent shoulder/cheek weld, breathing, natural point of aim, trigger control, and follow through (Recoil management).

With a properly built foundation, be it with a bipod/rear bag, front/rear bag, a solid and COMFORTABLE cheek weld, all mated to your natural point of aim (NPA), your cross hairs will be rock solid. In this position you’re not muscling the weapon system to a desired POA. You have established the POA via your bodies/weapons NPA. Without this you are constantly adding unnecessary muscle tension into your shot due to forced POA. This forced POA causes you to constantly “chase the bull” with your cross hair.

You can practice this at home WITH AN EMPTY WEAPON. If you can dry fire your rifle without damaging it, I highly suggest it. In the Marine Corps I have literally spent days upon days doing nothing but dry firing.

Good luck.
I believe you are exactly right

Latest posts

Top Bottom