It's time for a sighting rest / shooting rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last couple days I've been at the range playing with my ultralight handi rifle. It's biggest plus is also it's draw back shooting from the bench. It's so light plus the forearm is skinny and rounded that I'm having the hardest time holding it steady trying to really dial it in. I can't keep it from dancing all around the 1/2 dots on the target and I'm basically having to let the trigger break when I think I'm most centered on them but I'm sure I'm shooting up, down, left & right between each shot to some degree. I've tried some the lead sled type rest in the past & think it's time I probably invest in something like that as my skills are diminishing with age & not improving

This rest is $89 from Amazon and has some Velcro straps to help hold the rifle down which though a pain to undo with each shot on my single shots wouldn't be that big of a pain on bolt & semi auto guns plus you don't have to use it. Anyone used a high score model like this, I'm open to suggestions but need to stay under $100 if possible

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221230-183251-993.png
    Screenshot_20221230-183251-993.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 5

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Sam problem I just use a bag on the front or bipod and a tube sock full of pinto beans for the rear I shoot different from a lead sled than I do from when I’m shouldering it

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Sam problem I just use a bag on the front or bipod and a tube sock full of pinto beans for the rear I shoot different from a lead sled than I do from when I’m shouldering it
Your method is exactly how I do it down to the pinto beans on my bolt guns only I have duct tape around my sack of beans & with that set-up I'm pretty steady.

This rifle doesn't have a sling swivel on it and I don't want to put one on it but that may be the best option. I don't know what else to do I'm probably moving a 1/2" in all directions so in trying to really get this little rifle at dead on as possible and evaluate exactly which ammo shoots the best I'm not really getting anything done but burning ammo.

I installed my meopta 4-20x50 on it this morning that helped me shooting but it also magnified just how much I'm moving around on the bench.

This rifle isn't expected to be a benchrest target rifle but I would like to squeeze out all I can from it and rule out my poor shooting as much as possible

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the last couple days I've been at the range playing with my ultralight handi rifle. It's biggest plus is also it's draw back shooting from the bench. It's so light plus the forearm is skinny and rounded that I'm having the hardest time holding it steady trying to really dial it in. I can't keep it from dancing all around the 1/2 dots on the target and I'm basically having to let the trigger break when I think I'm most centered on them but I'm sure I'm shooting up, down, left & right between each shot to some degree. I've tried some the lead sled type rest in the past & think it's time I probably invest in something like that as my skills are diminishing with age & not improving

This rest is $89 from Amazon and has some Velcro straps to help hold the rifle down which though a pain to undo with each shot on my single shots wouldn't be that big of a pain on bolt & semi auto guns plus you don't have to use it. Anyone used a high score model like this, I'm open to suggestions but need to stay under $100 if possible
Bull Bag does the trick.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bull Bag does the trick.
How do adjust up/down left/right when using it without affecting the rifle by pulling/pushing it the needed direction and having to keep pressure on it during the shot to keep it there?

I've looked at those but I'm wanting something that basically holds the gun steady for me that I can adjust to the bullseye then fire without me influencing the shot..... I'm the biggest problem in this equation

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do adjust up/down left/right when using it without affecting the rifle by pulling/pushing it the needed direction and having to keep pressure on it during the shot to keep it there?

I've looked at those but I'm wanting something that basically holds the gun steady for me that I can adjust to the bullseye then fire without me influencing the shot..... I'm the biggest problem in this equation
used all the adjustable that actually hold the gun.. think my bull bag is better. i filled with weighted beads like the girls make weighted blankets with! might be worth a try.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you remember how many lbs of beads it took to fill your bags?

Amazon has 15lbs bags of the beads but they want like $50 that plus the price of the bag puts it back into mechanical rest prices.

I'd use sand but it would probably be messy and leak at the seams

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember how many lbs of beads it took to fill your bags?

Amazon has 15lbs bags of the beads but they want like $50 that plus the price of the bag puts it back into mechanical rest prices.

I'd use sand but it would probably be messy and leak at the seams
Shop around for the beads they are a little high..I’ll have to weigh mine don’t remember offhand

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cut legs off some old jeans and fill with play or river sand sand and sew them up or use E6000 to stick them together.
Sand in that can be formed to the stock very well.
You can shim the sand bag higher or lower with 1x4 wood pieces .
Then rest the rear stock on the bench on a rear bag.

Right handed shooters Pinch the rear bag with your left hand while stock is against your shoulder slightly.

Do not hold the front of the rifle with left hand.
If you put a thumb on the barrel when shooting it will pull the shot.
Different pressure on stock will pull the shot.
Strap over the barrel will not duplicate what will happen in field shooting.

I have a steady rest I will loan you for a long time if you ever get down to Yukon area.
It is like a lead sled but homemade from a scissor jack and other metal i had laying around.

Good for sighting in a scope as you can secure the rifle and keep it from moving when adjusting turrets.
But the rounds will not impact the same exact place using it vs shouldering on bags or field shooting.

So I just do not use it anymore.
I sure as heck would not spend 100 on anything.

If it was my rifle and I thought it had potential I would add a sling swivel.
I would then add a small bipod and leave it closed/folded up and rest that on a bag.
Near Zero movement like that if you also use a rear bag.

I forgot all my sand bags one time going to a buddys place 75 miles away to shoot some worked up loads.

I ended up taking a brown paper sack and duct tape I had and filling the sack with sand that I got from one of his mole hills on the property.
That was good sand.
I then wrapped the entire sack with duct tape and that was a very steady bag.

It followed me on a dozen shooting trips before it began leaking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom