I've developed an itch to buy a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't discount .38Spl. Its performance may not be up to .357Mag levels, but modern loads are pretty dang good. I have a Colt DSII that I often keep loaded with 3 rounds of Cor-Bon +P (I forget the bullet weight) and 3 rounds of CCI snake shot (the snake shot doesn't have a particularly long range, but it's certainly effective up close). It's small enough to conceal relatively easily, but not small enough to be punishing (to you) when you shoot it.

cj599

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never liked revolvers that much intill I shot my dads 44

Attachments

• WP_20141115_002.jpg
    WP_20141115_002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 119

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sir, are walking down a long and lonely path in search of a good old fashioned wheel gun.

What I mean to say is, once you step into this realm, there's no turning back. You think semi-autos are addictive? HA! I laugh at such nonsense. The world of revolvers is by far worse than any addiction you've ever had. I'm talking drinking, smoking, reruns of Gilligan's Island - you name it. The revolver addiction will bring you to your knees! Once you get one...you want another...and another...and another. :blahblah: Next thing you know, you are cursing the bottom feeders and thinking the wheel gun is the only way to go. You'll start scoffing at them young whipper-snappers and their damned ol' Dick Tracy jam-o-matics and swear and be damned that the revolver is the only weapon worth carrying. Period.

:lookaroun

Now then. Since I've given you fair warning and a small disclaimer, I'll give you my recommendation.

I literally cut my teeth on the ol' sixgun. The very first firearm I ever shot was my father's old Smith & Wesson M&P K frame Victory model. It's still my most prized possession. From there, when I became a lawman, I borrowed my uncle's model 13 with a 3 inch barrel and round butt. Pinned and recessed, of course. Then it was a Smith & Wesson model 681 that I took to CLEET. From there on, I bought and sold a thousand or so wheelies. I'm talking N frames, K frames, L frames, J frames even a Ruger or two and one lonely Colt that I still have today.

So as you can see, I've been thru almost every revolver there is. I'm afraid to go back. Like I said...it's a world like no other.

But if you are hell bent on getting a revolver, I suggest the Smith & Wesson model 66 with the 4 inch snout. P&R preferably. You can still pick up one of these for around 5 bills and it'll do everything you want it to do. Load it up with .38 Specials for practice. Load it up with hot magnums for hunting. Load it up with ratshot for the snakes and other "vermin." Just don't shoot a solid diet of magnums thru it. K frames don't like a lot of the hot stuff.

If you just gotta burn out with hot magnum loads get an L frame. Or better yet, get an N frame in .44 Magnum and really knock your socks off.

Just be aware of the world you are about to enter.

You have been warned.

Are you ready?

Latest posts

Top Bottom