January 30th 3-Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, we went back today during the pistol match and it looks like the best plan will be to place them at 125,150, two at 225, two at 282 and the las one at 353. Pretty easy shots with the irons. We figure 437 was a bit ambitious for the first long range match. I would look for that distance in March for sure!
M

353 yards?!? I've never shot over 100 yards, something tells me that I will be better off taking the penalty for failure to neutralize than wasting my time and ammo and save my practice for actual practice.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
353 yards?!? I've never shot over 100 yards, something tells me that I will be better off taking the penalty for failure to neutralize than wasting my time and ammo and save my practice for actual practice.

You will also get penalties for failure to engage as well... Give it a shot, you never know what you're capapble of until you try. I will be putting in some extra work so that I can make a better showing this time around. I'm mostly sure that my rifle will perform if I can do my part but it will take some effort from me to find out. I'm really looking forward to this match!!!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well don't feel too bad. If I'm able to actually shoot this match I'll be shooting irons. I have two options, 16" AR w/55gr bullets (all I have on hand and not great past 300 yards) or an M1A. Now the M1A certainly has the legs to reach that far but I don't have enough time to get an optic mounted and zeroed. Ditto for the AR which has a 4mil dot Aimpoint which is roughly 14.12" dia. at 353 yards. So it's going to have to be irons for me. Now my eyesight is way past going long range with irons so like I said, don't feel too bad just squad up in my squad! Hopefully my bad back will cooperate and I'll get to shoot this. I'm at least going to be there watching.

Cole2534

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you want to go to USSA on the 16th for the ProAm/Shotgun side match with me?
Other than that I plan to hit the range for several hours on the 17th and the 24th to shoot a little long range stuff with all 3 guns.
I have never shot my AR past 300 or my pistol past 30 with the current zero's. I'll probably be running several slugs down the Benelli as well.

We'll see. I was hoping to have started a job this past monday, but nothing yet. :disappoin

I need to shoot the AR past 300, but don't know where. Can't bang the OKCGC gongs with 5.56 and don't have the hi-power cert either.

The pistol? It's a Sig, it will do what it's told. :50cal:

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
if you plan to run a 1x red dot you might want to look at adding a 3-4x magnifyer with a flip to the side type mount. Or a good set of BUIS with a thin front site post It's gonna be really tough to hit those 10" targets at 350 when your dot covers them completely up.
The other option would be to check out the Millet DMS. Wormydog1724 picked on up a few months ago with a mount for under $200 brand new.

I have a 2x magnifier on my optic. It's a Vortex Strike Force. I'm not sure that it will do very good at 350 on a 10' target though. It has a 4 MOA dot....that means I'm covering 14' at 350. I'm going to get some long range work in next week.....I may be able to site in a good hold over reference so I can see the target.

I really wish I could get that Millet, but I just dropped about $700 on parts. Most of the money came from other guns I sold, but I went over a little and I hate doing that.

I'll see what happens at the range. If it is just going to be impossible, I may have to talk myself into that Millet.

I know it's an "el-cheapo", but what do you think about the Tasco World Class 1-4x?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684946

I mean, it's not illuminated, but its cheap (and yes, I know you usually get what you pay for) and I can use it on the shotgun for deer slug.

seanmccanne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll see. I was hoping to have started a job this past monday, but nothing yet. :disappoin

I need to shoot the AR past 300, but don't know where. Can't bang the OKCGC gongs with 5.56 and don't have the hi-power cert either.

The pistol? It's a Sig, it will do what it's told. :50cal:

You should consider going to the benchrest range and dial in on paper. That way you're on center when you think you are instead of somewhere on a 10" plate. I'd just try to find a slow time so your comp isn't blowing people away.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2x magnifier on my optic. It's a Vortex Strike Force. I'm not sure that it will do very good at 350 on a 10' target though. It has a 4 MOA dot....that means I'm covering 14' at 350. I'm going to get some long range work in next week.....I may be able to site in a good hold over reference so I can see the target.

I really wish I could get that Millet, but I just dropped about $700 on parts. Most of the money came from other guns I sold, but I went over a little and I hate doing that.

I'll see what happens at the range. If it is just going to be impossible, I may have to talk myself into that Millet.

I know it's an "el-cheapo", but what do you think about the Tasco World Class 1-4x?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684946

I mean, it's not illuminated, but its cheap (and yes, I know you usually get what you pay for) and I can use it on the shotgun for deer slug.

The Millet is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Its cheap enough and does the job. My only gripe about it is the weight and the illumination is useless outside in the sun. The reticle is awesome though and makes shooting the targets a breeze at any distance. I wish they offered a nonilluminated version to cut down on the cost and weight. I hear there is a Weaver 1-4 scope that is supposed to be good too. I got the scope mount combo from swfa.com, I like the mount but will be getting rid of it soon and replacing it with a LaRue. Also may be getting rid of the Millet and getting a Trijicon Accupoint like Jesse's or a Leupold Mark AR. All it takes is money! :hey3:

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you dive into either one, check out the meopta. Best optic for the money, bar none.

Mike

ooo ya I forgot about those. Somebody told me about those a while back. Do you know how the illumination is? I would imagine its better than the millet, and really the illumination isn't that necessary but if i'm going to pay for it by golly I want it to work!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its better than the millett but still could use some more brightness.

I considered one, used one, and didnt think it was a big enough an upgrade to lose the millett.

Im about to lose mine and play in Irons..

Latest posts

Top Bottom