Judge issues order to block "anti-muslim" amendment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if any other religion has "laws" like the Muslims? Is this the same as say the Ten Commandments which I believe most of our basic laws are based on or.....

I don't have a clue about religions. Always felt religion is for people that can't deal with the idea that death is final.

Have you read the Old Testament?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overturned on appeal is not the same as the problem not occurring in the first place.

Idiot judges make idiot decisions all the time. That's why we have the appeals process. In this case, the system worked.

Someone who sold their daughter into slavery, but didn't think it was wrong because it's sanctioned in Exodus, could also be excused by a similarly idiotic judge. However, something tells me that banning courts from applying Biblical law wouldn't win anyone many votes in this part of the country.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone who sold their daughter into slavery, but didn't think it was wrong because it's sanctioned in Exodus, could also be excused by a similarly idiotic judge. However, something tells me that banning courts from applying Biblical law wouldn't win anyone many votes in this part of the country.

Of course not; it wouldn't fit with the local bias. It'd still be the legally correct thing to do, though.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to familiar with the amendment you all passed in OK but as a side note, any judge presiding over any bench in this land that uses International Law or any other religous or national law other than that of the United States should be either voted out of office or head put on a stick. (now where's that skull cleaning thread???

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats the use in voting if some jackass lifetime appointed federal judge is gonna ignore the will of the people?

Here it is in a nut shell- If you live in AMERICA, then you will follow and be judged by AMERICAN LAW!!!! If you dont like that, pack up your crap and leave the country!!!! How hard is that to figure out!!!

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually we have an appointed judiciary to protect from the kind of demagoguery that this bill represents.

I understand the thinking behind lifetime appointments for some judges.
Its meant to keep them from feeling political pressure because of their decisions.

Problem is- it works too well. What happens when you get a lifetime appointed judge that consistently rules against that people that legally voted for something, or one that trys to legislate from the bench?? Your in trouble! Thats what! Lifetime appointment= No accountability!!!!

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually we have an appointed judiciary to protect from the kind of demagoguery that this bill represents.

While I agree that the checks and balance system we have is not perfect, it works much better than what other countries have. Especially those under any religious rule of law.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its meant to keep them from feeling political pressure because of their decisions.

Problem is- it works too well. What happens when you get a lifetime appointed judge that consistently rules against that people that legally voted for something, or one that trys to legislate from the bench?? Your in trouble! Thats what! Lifetime appointment= No accountability!!!!

Seems as though judges on federal benches should be voted on just as the president of the Uniteds States gets gets voted in. That would be interesting.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats the use in voting if some jackass lifetime appointed federal judge is gonna ignore the will of the people?

Here it is in a nut shell- If you live in AMERICA, then you will follow and be judged by AMERICAN LAW!!!! If you dont like that, pack up your crap and leave the country!!!! How hard is that to figure out!!!

You say that like laws have nationalities. A law in one country could just as easily be a law in another country. The only difference is that we have other laws that protect against the government doing certain things, like passing laws the infringe on our rights. In fact, a lot of US common law comes from England if i remember my con. law class right.

You can get people to legally vote on a lot of things. That doesn't make the law legal in your system. Courts have always had the power to judge whether a law violates the constitution. The population of a city could vote tomorrow to ban all gun within the city, but that doesn't mean that the 'will of the people' should influence your right to protect yourself. It would take a judge to stop the vote from going into effect.

Could lifetime appointments be abused? Sure, but so could the alternative. The judge in Heller could easily be tossed out because the anti crowd disagreed with the ruling. As i said before, it's easy to like these things when the judges are protecting laws you favor, the real challenge comes when they protect laws you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom