Just shot my 20yr old 30-06... OUCH!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm 33 and 20 years ago my parents bought me a 30-06 bolt action for my birthday. After 20 years, I just shot it for the first time, ever!

After 4 rounds... OUCH! this thing has some major recoil! I've shot my AK with it's wood stock, but this thing has some power.

Aside from just getting used to the recoil I'm going to need to pick up a recoil pad or something. My shoulder feels it now... I picked up some extra ammo, but this gun isn't one that I'll be out shooting 80 - 100 rounds per range trip....

Just had to share my experience...

Quail Fat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you shooting 200gr bullets?

I once had a Mauser .30-06 with a fricking metal buttplate, and it would tag me with a shoulder hickey after a few rounds..

The most brutal rifle I ever shot (I used to own a .460 Wby which would kick like hell) was a Winchester Ranger M-70 "Feather-Lite" .300 Win Mag.

The rife weighed 6½ pounds and had a brick red hard thin rubber buttplate.

It was like getting slammed in the shoulder by Babe Ruth swinging a Louisville Slugger at full force. One shot and I'd have to quit. That damn rifle was brutal! The Weatherby would blast my shoulder back about a foot, but that Winchester would destroy it.

I've looked all over and cannot find one anywhere. I think it was some sadist at Winchester playing a joke on some suckers by making of few of them. God that rifle was pure hell to shoot..

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 ADL that my parents bought for me in 1993. The rifle has the synthetic stock and wore a cheap Bushnell scope until about 2003 when it gave the ghost up. I replaced it with nice Leupold. This rifle is really light and has one kell of a kick to it, probably why I check zero and call it good. In fact, I have not even been deer hunting in several years with it but have hunted some hogs.

The nice thing about the .30-06 is the ability to handload light to heavy bullets. The cartridge can take any game in North America and a lot of other places.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You realize that for the first 40 years of the last century U.S. soldiers used bolt action 30-06's with metal butt-plates. I wonder how they did it, I start hurting after about 40 rounds through my 1903.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's one of Rugers first M77's. According to the serial number it was one of the first to roll of the line in 1985.

I was shooting 180 grain SP Federal. I was trying to zero in the scope on it, but that wasn't going to happen...

I was thinking about all of those soldiers who shoot 30-06 and they were TUFF!!

Smokey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the differnt positions like stated above. I am a small framed guy, hit the scales at 130. That being said, I can last 50 rds at the range then I have to go back to the AR. Different ammo may be the key to your ability to have long sessions. Also a limb saver may be in your future.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are planning a bear/moose/elk hunt, suggest 150gr deer loads.
Handloads can be made a little slower.

For range work a "PAST" shoulder pad takes the worry out of that 2nd shot, and those that follow.
(MIDWAYUSA, among others, goes on you, not the gun)
There's a technique to a rifle/shotgun that recoils: get it solid against you and don't let it build up speed before it hits your shoulder.

When you're shooting at a deer, you won't notice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom