Just shot my 20yr old 30-06... OUCH!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just took a few of my milsurps to the range. Since my Mosin Nagant left me pretty bruised the last time I took her out and I wanted to shoot it and a couple of other big calibers, I decided to do something about the recoil. I got a PAST Magnum Plus shoulder pad and used a slip on recoil pad that I recently acquired. Between the two, the recoil was very manageable. I shot somewhere between 70-100 rds and could have easily continued on. The shoulder and butt pads only cost about $20 each and can be used for just about anything, so they were very good investments. You might want to give those some thought.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have three 30-06 rifle's. One is an M1 Garand (CMP SA), 1903A3SC, and a Remington 700DXLH. The latter kicks the hardest, and is the only one that has a Limb-saver recoil pad on her. As to taking large game with the 30-06, its all about bullet weight and design. If your going after dangerous game nothing is better than a 220gr monolith slug, brown bear, moose, and elk will fall to her. Several PH's in Alaska are known to take the rifle away from hunters who show up with their new blaster cause they can't hit what they are shooting at. Most PH's I've dealt with would rather that you bring a rifle you are competent with, and can hit with. Yes the old 30-06 is at the bottom as far as respectable in dealing with a Brownie, but with the right loads she will do her job as long as you can do yours. I use several different loads in my 700 just for this reason, light skinned its between a 150 to 165gr load staying about 200fps from the top, and do my best to keep my shots under 250yds. Everything else depends on what I'm hunting and where.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to shoot a bit of 30-06.I have a '03 Springfield and a Garand from the DCM.I shoot mostly reloads on the light side especially on the steel butt '03,I still shoot some surplus LC in the Garand. I think the '03 kicks until I shoot my sons 8mm Mauser with 190 gr surplus ammo.That short stocked mauser and steel butt knock the fire out of me in short order.When my son was younger and smaller the mauser fit him well and didn't bother him much,now it smacks him pretty good too. Make sure you have a rifle that fits you.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I'll throw another nod to the PAST recoil pads.

But seriously, everyone knows that nothing lighter than the .338 Lapua magnum Is suitable for anything bigger than rabbits and squirrels. The .50 BMG should be the first choice for any serious big game hunter. Even a skinny 'yote is too tough for the lowley .30-06. I just have to shake my head at the thought that people are so unethical to actually hunt deer with the pitiful .30-30, I've heard a well aged bucks hide will actually turn a .30-30 bullet passed 100 yards or so. :P

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll throw another nod to the PAST recoil pads.

But seriously, everyone knows that nothing lighter than the .338 Lapua magnum Is suitable for anything bigger than rabbits and squirrels. The .50 BMG should be the first choice for any serious big game hunter. Even a skinny 'yote is too tough for the lowley .30-06. I just have to shake my head at the thought that people are so unethical to actually hunt deer with the pitiful .30-30, I've heard a well aged bucks hide will actually turn a .30-30 bullet passed 100 yards or so. :P

Had a guy try to tell me that at the range one day. Told me my 7X57 was to light to use on deer sized game. It took alot for me not to laugh in his face!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a guy try to tell me that at the range one day. Told me my 7X57 was to light to use on deer sized game. It took allot for me not to laugh in his face!!

Hmmm, so the half dozen or so deer I've dropped in their tracks with 55 grain HP's in .22-250 should still be alive?

I can't count the deer I've killed with the the Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06. I've always loaded my own using the Sierra 165gr HP. The wound cavity is pretty impressive with that bullet. Every thing inside is pretty much jelly.

Yeah it kicks. At the range, the past magnum recoil pad works wonders, but when shooting at game, I never feel it recoil. I guess its the adrenaline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom