Ka-bar tdi opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting one of these knives, a ka-bar tdi knife.

Does anybody have an opinion or a personal review on this knife?

The funny angle of this fixed blade knife and the fact it's made in Taiwan doesn't make me want to buy it.

Is it legal to open carry this knife in Okc?

The blade length on he big version is 3 11/16.

Thanks

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have one. it feels good in the hand. if you can throw a punch you can really mess someone up with it. only thing i dont like about it is that the metal tab that goes on your belt seems flimsy. ive broke one but they are cheap. they get caught on stuff real easy if you wear it on your hip. the blade isnt bad. not the best metal in the world (aus 8a) but its not like your using it everyday like a utility knife. its pretty sharp. mine is just the regular size plain blade one. its a personal defense knife. i think its a great knife. ive had mine for awhile. never had to use it in a situation. overall i think its worth the 30-40 bux that they are.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get one, go ahead and pick up the trainer for the particular size you choose and train with it. It's different enough from a regular knife that I don't think most folks can pick it up and fight with it effectively without a lot of practice. Reverse-grip (something you typically use a lot in fighting) is completely different from a more conventional fixed-blade.

I've heard people say that it's a knife designed to use in a fight for people who don't know how to use a knife. I don't know if that's true, but I had one for a bit and ended up getting rid of it in favor for a smaller more conventional fixed-blade. I think if you train with it, you can be just as effective with it as anything else, just don't get one and throw it on your belt without any practice/training and expect to use it in a fight.

I know they don't come with the greatest edge on them from the factory. AUS-8 is easy enough to sharpen if you have patience (don't get in a hurry). I don't have a problem using my SD knives for light utility, but I put the edge back on mine every night if they get used (and they're pretty frickin sharp).

The Tanto point is designed for strength in the tip (i.e. for stabbing), so I'd probably get a tanto version if I were to do it again. I don't care for serrations in a self-defense knife, but it's probably not that critical as long as it's sharp.

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a decent knife for what it is. I have made a few sheaths for them. I currently have 2 available that come with mini tec-locks for horizontal carry.
i1062.photobucket.com_albums_t483_Mluikey_tdisheath.jpg

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i primarily carry a knife for utility, so i keep an izula or ESEE-3 in my pocket.
if you're looking for a defensive knife, i'd say go for it. weren't they designed with weapon retention in mind?

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe the knife was designed to be a last resort tool for an officer resisting a person trying to get his/her gun. I have seen where this knife is placed behind a mag holder on an officer belt. I do agree fighting with this knife with the reverse grip would take practice. The one disadvantage is the limited usefulness of the knife, meaning it's certainly not the first I would use to carve something. But for the purpose of stabbing somebody in close rolling around on the floor self defense, the knife looks pretty good. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom