Kayak’s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Canoed for years. We are older now and have been recently watching Kayaker’s at a couple lakes. Wife wants her own. So I took the hint, she wants me to have my own too! Thanks on the suggestions and will get to shopping.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, look at the type of vehicle you have. Do you want hard-sided heavier, inflatable easier to transport? Use for fishing or just paddling around? One person, two person? Even the hated Walmart has some decent ones. Make sure the paddle has drip rings.

I bought a hard top Jeep to pull behind the Motorhome. I would imagine a roof rack will suffice?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Earlier this year I put in some serious thought about kayaking and had plans to buy a Hobie Passport 12ft, but a lot of kayakers I talked to said the wind in OK (which never stops) is a real impediment to enjoying it.

So ask yourself - How many calm days do we get when the weather is nice? What are the odds you will want to take the kayak out on that day instead of doing something else?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our new house is near a neighborhood lake, about 7 acre water surface. I’m looking forward to getting a kayak or two.

We went to Greenleaf State Park, right on the water. There is a ORV Park not to far. We did that, but was really enjoying watching the Kayaker’s. And the Paddle Boarders was a hoot! No paddle boards for us.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earlier this year I put in some serious thought about kayaking and had plans to buy a Hobie Passport 12ft, but a lot of kayakers I talked to said the wind in OK (which never stops) is a real impediment to enjoying it.

So ask yourself - How many calm days do we get when the weather is nice? What are the odds you will want to take the kayak out on that day instead of doing something else?
This is true. Buy a bass boat instead.
👌

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll also need to decide if you want a 'sit-in' or a 'sit-on'. I prefer the 'sit-on', but everyone is different.

Dunham's in Shawnee also has a very good selection of kayaks.

They may still rent kayaks at the north end of Lake Overholser. Could try 'em before you buy 'em....

Best of luck in your decision!

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
do you plan to fish on it, or just paddle?
more expensive models like hobies or cool foot powered ones are surely nicer, but i have a couple relatively cheap ones of the Lifetime brand. If you search around, you can find them at Sam's, Academy, Tractor Supply, etc.

we bought ours thru tractor supply. don't store them in sunlight is what i've heard. easy enough to carry two with two people, i just haul them in my cheyenne short wide bed.

pretty sure ours are this model, but we got them a bit cheaper on sale before covid hit.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lifetime-tamarack-angler-kayak
yeah sit on top if the way to go imo. biggest upgrade is a better paddle and a better seat.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you plan to fish on it, or just paddle?
more expensive models like hobies or cool foot powered ones are surely nicer, but i have a couple relatively cheap ones of the Lifetime brand. If you search around, you can find them at Sam's, Academy, Tractor Supply, etc.

we bought ours thru tractor supply. don't store them in sunlight is what i've heard. easy enough to carry two with two people, i just haul them in my cheyenne short wide bed.

pretty sure ours are this model, but we got them a bit cheaper on sale before covid hit.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lifetime-tamarack-angler-kayak
yeah sit on top if the way to go imo. biggest upgrade is a better paddle and a better seat.

Yea! That is the style we want! Never thought Tractor Supply! Cool!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We travel all over the US.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC Kayak is a great place for info and to view the different types. I believe they still rent them so you can try some out. I have a 14' Hobie Pro Angler and Wilderness Systems ATAK 12. The hobie is a pedal drive and the other is a paddle type. Both are sit on top. I found I like to keep my ass dry so I chose this type. However, it depends on what you want to do. If you are just wanting to run around lakes, either the sit in or on will work well. If you're fishing, get one made for fishing (better stability). I've also found the sit on kayaks have better seats and if you are like me and played too hard when you were younger, they have better support for the back. Overall I prefer the hobie, but they are expensive. Academy has a kayak that has the hobie mirage drive system in it for a lot cheaper than the cost of an actual hobie.

Best advice though, go to OKC Kayak and see all the different types and try them out.

Attachments

• 20200703_075713.jpg
    20200703_075713.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190824_075806.jpg
    20190824_075806.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210523_065221.jpg
    20210523_065221.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts