Kayak’s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have 2 sit in Pelican kayaks. Bought them used and saved a ton. We prefer to be in rather than on but the sit on one’s are cheaper. Make sure you get the appropriate paddle to go with your body size. There are many different types of kayak but a recreational one suits most people.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC Kayak is a great place for info and to view the different types. I believe they still rent them so you can try some out. I have a 14' Hobie Pro Angler and Wilderness Systems ATAK 12. The hobie is a pedal drive and the other is a paddle type. Both are sit on top. I found I like to keep my ass dry so I chose this type. However, it depends on what you want to do. If you are just wanting to run around lakes, either the sit in or on will work well. If you're fishing, get one made for fishing (better stability). I've also found the sit on kayaks have better seats and if you are like me and played too hard when you were younger, they have better support for the back. Overall I prefer the hobie, but they are expensive. Academy has a kayak that has the hobie mirage drive system in it for a lot cheaper than the cost of an actual hobie.

Best advice though, go to OKC Kayak and see all the different types and try them out.
What’s that tall pole sticking up in the 2nd pic?

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I rented one of these:
https://westcoastsailing.net/hobie-mirage-tandem-island/when they were available here at Oologah lake and it was a blast!
If it's windy just unfurl the mast and haul the mail. Just want to putter around, then just roll up the sail and use the mirage drive fins. Surprisingly it moves quite well with little effort unlike the old crappy paddle boats where you peddle like Lance Armstrong but only get up to about 2mph. You can even kick up the fins and paddle if want to do shallow stuff. The outriggers can fold in and out from the seats for narrow access.
We'd love to get one to keep, but the price is a little out of our range. You can find them for sale used on Craigslist every once in a while and hold their value well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a kayak on sale at Academy on a clearance. Which I would have bought all three but got one.
It's a 12' sit on top model for fishing. My buddy bought another brand.
When we are on the water, he can stand up in his, and mine is narrow and very tippy.
My suggestion is to look for one that is wider and not tippy like a canoe. Go for stability.
I'd also look at the pedal type that use like a bicycle pedal to run a little prop underneath. Those things can move across the water.
The prop is retracted into a pocket when needing to go into shallow water.
Academy has some great accessories. Get the anchor in a bag with a rope already attached. It's compact and the anchor wings fold out.
There is also an anchor trolly that attaches a wire to the side of the kayak so one can position the anchor from bow to aft to position the kayak in current or wind for fishing. Very handy.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fish with a 13 foot Viking, sit on top. It is the sauce for big water (made for saltwater) - Like some others have said, sit on top is the way to go.

Wife has a 10 foot Heritage Angler - it gets "loaned" to whoever is fishing with me, and it's a solid kayak, but if I had it to do again, I'd get the 12 foot model. Do that and get a 100 dollar seat and you're in business.

I used to haul kayaks on the roof of the SUV - the 50 dollar roof racks from Amazon work great. There's some easy to learn tricks to loading/unloading, if you need any advice PM me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom