knife makers, I need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from you pros. I'm wanting to make a very special knife. This is what it will look like:

image.jpg

Cowboy action shooters call it a screw knife. It's specifically designed to help shooters competing with single action revolvers and (mainly) lever action rifles un-jam a gun on the clock. It is fairly small, here it is in action for a sense of size:

image.jpg

I already have a very special handle that looks very close to the one pictured, it's made from the very first buck my wife ever took. I want to turn it into one of these knifes. It's already carved and was originally going to be a part of a necklace, but it's just too large, so it's been stored until we ran across this knife.

The knife does have one very dull blade one one side and a flat blade screwdriver on the tip. It's width, at the tip, is specifically wide enough to fit between the carrier and a stuck case in a 73/66 lever action rifle - most are made of damascus steel, as pictured. The blade is only symbolic really, it would struggle to cut butter. This is more of a turnscrew/prybar combination and less of a knife.

I've never tried to make a knife, but would very much life to be able to attach a blade to the 'hande' we already have. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to get started on the project? This is going to be a very special anniversary present and I have just a few weeks to try and get this together. I'm handy in the shop and probably have most of the tools needed, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks guys. This is the piece I have to work with

image.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
victor, there are lots of good vids on youtube. i get most of my supplies from jantz in davis. site id jantzusa.com i believe.
are you just wanting to drill the hole in the handle?
they have damascus steel that you can by in a plate or blades already cut out.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
victor, there are lots of good vids on youtube. i get most of my supplies from jantz in davis. site id jantzusa.com i believe.
are you just wanting to drill the hole in the handle?
they have damascus steel that you can by in a plate or blades already cut out.

Darren, I'm not sure where to start. I want to make sure the tang is long enough for the knife to last for some time, is there a rule of thum as to how long the tang needs to be in regards to the blade length?

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most like at least 3 inches of tang into the handle. Any shorter and you may have problems. One thing if you have room you can pin through the antler and the tang to make it more secure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom