Learning to reload

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe H&H has a class on it.
Youtube has some video available.
I think Midway has some of the RCBS video online.

Or you could volunteer to sweep out someone's man cave and mow his yard in exchange for being able to come over and watch him do it and ask questions.:wink2:

Most important is buy a good reloading manual and read it. That's where all the secrets are.

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find someone in your area that will show you the steps involved. Thats the best and easiest way. Also consider purchasing a book on reloading by the NRA that is excellent. Gives all the steps and explains the what, why, and how of everything.

NRA Guide to Reloading

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old Fart has got it right. A lot of us taught ourselves to load but that is the hard way. Latch on to a local loader if possible and save yourself a lot of grief and frustration. It is not a hard process and I encourage you to get into it.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of videos on the net will show you how. First thing to do is to read about how it is done and figure out if you have the potential to do it. It is not hard but it does REQUIRE that you pay attention, be able to follow instructions step by step, and go slowly until you learn what you're doing. You can't just decide that you're going to start reloading to day and plan on tomorrow assembling some super duper whomper stomper rocket powered maximum pressure ammo for your gun. And you will need a little bit of time and space to do it where you will be free from distractions while you reload. Don't plan on doing it while you're watching TV and have 12 little children running around screaming and falling down and getting hurt and your wife telling you 39 different items to get at the grocery store. It is very rewarding and fun and will let you shoot about three or four times as much for the same money.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reloaded my own for the first time the past year. I read a couple loading manuals and watched some videos on youtube to see the process. Loading pistol ammo is really pretty simple, just go slow at first and double check everything.

kelleysgunshop

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
All very good information. I appriciate it too, 'cause I'm new here.

I just started loading this year, pistol and rifle. Ask as many reloaders as you can, you'll get different info from every one of them. Also a lot of information from the manufacturers. Barnes Bullets are very nice people to talk with, also RCBS, Hornady and Dillon Precision. Believe it or not, most don't care who's equipmet you're using. They figure sooner or later, you'll be using something of theirs. I expect if a person does it long enough, they will try a little of everything. I'm amazed already of how many different things I've tried in the short time I've been reloading....Find something you don't like? Try something different. Sometimes it can be kinda spendy....but pretty much all hobbies are somehow or another. It's hard to imagine when you first start, that "all this crap will eventually pay for itself"...but it won't take as long as you think.
It's also nice to be able to load a magazine/cylinder full of rounds and walk out behind the house and shoot 'em...you know if it shows to be safe, if you like it and if it's accurate....before you load up a pile of 'em! Of course, I know everone doesn't have that luxury...but it is icing on the cake if you're able to!
Best of luck! You'll probably enjoy it for years to come....I know I will.

Colin

ETA: Most important....as many loading manuals as you can find!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like has said, get a reloading manual and read it.
You'll see it's a pretty easy process.
But it's also loaded with many opportunities to have bad outcomes.
When you get ready post back here and someone will surely let you come over and watch.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like has said, get a reloading manual and read it.
You'll see it's a pretty easy process.
But it's also loaded with many opportunities to have bad outcomes.
When you get ready post back here and someone will surely let you come over and watch.

Next time you reload let me know and I will sweep the man cave.:cry3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom