Lee Load master

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shell plate is easy. unscrew the knurled nut in the middle, slip off the metal ejector arm and the O-ring, pull the plate off, put the new one and and re-assemble in reverse.

here's the manual

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/LM3231.pdf
I looked at the manual and tried to remove the shell plate because 1. I'm curious and 2. I think powder is jamming it up, and all I got was the know and metal ejector

From my sniper hide

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The O-ring is 5/16 x .070. (part REI528)

http://leeprecision.com/o-ring-5-16-x-.070.html

This keeps the ejector arm from popping off the square section of the draw bolt. It also offers a friction fit for the knurled shellplate nut. Chances are, if you contact Lee, they'll just send you one.

I couple of photos of the press to show condition would really help me guide you. I'd be happy to get together, but it's going to be well after the first of the year before I can do that.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The O-ring is 5/16 x .070. (part REI528)

http://leeprecision.com/o-ring-5-16-x-.070.html

This keeps the ejector arm from popping off the square section of the draw bolt. It also offers a friction fit for the knurled shellplate nut. Chances are, if you contact Lee, they'll just send you one.

I couple of photos of the press to show condition would really help me guide you. I'd be happy to get together, but it's going to be well after the first of the year before I can do that.
If you don't mind that'd be awesome but I'm in the process of moving so it'll be a bit for me as well, and I'll post pictures when I get home

From my sniper hide

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info in this post! This press runs new brass and prepped brass good. I size and decap in a single-stage first so i can trim, remove crimps, final tumble and inspect. I use a universal decapping die with the decapping rod removed in the first stage to set the top of the stroke height, then set the rest of the dies from there. Watch the Lee videos for setting the dies and make you a couple of note cards to remember the steps have the steps handy when you need them.

Safety note for the load master: Every once in a while a primer will not decap in stage 1 and a primer will get smashed in #2 on the primer that didn't decap due to the decapper poking through it instead of pushing it out. If you feel a stroke that doesn't feel right (gets really tight at the top of the ram stroke), stop immediately and check the brass in stage #2 before advancing. If you advance at this point it will cause a jam while advancing. I chunk the messed up brass when it happens. Load master is a good press, but this will happen while decapping some brass (maybe 1 or 2 in a 1000).

PRIMERS
since they both use small primers you just empty the small pistol primers and fill with small rifle primers

TURRET
Extras are cheap, order a turret you can load your 556 dies in

POWDER
you are going form pistol to rifle, so using the universal rifle charging die (90194) is needed on top of the 5.56 powder/flaring die from lee.
you can either change the autodisk in your current lee powder measure then install it on the 5.56 dies, or just buy another powder measure (90429) and a double disk kit (90195) depending on what powder you use. Then dedicate the new measure to 5.56. make sure you don't mix powders up!! I put a piece of masking tape on the hopper and write down what powder is in it and what charge is being dispensed.

Shell Plate
you must buy the shell plate for 223/5.56 - #4S (90910)

BRASS FEED MECHANISM
You will need the Lee rifle pro case feeder (90663) for the 5.56 brass.
I highly recommend the Case Collator (90667)

Bullet feeding
Don't bother with trying to get the bullet feeder (if you have one) to work with .22 pills. Just hand seat them.

I think that's it. given the way the turrets seat in the frame, make sure to check OAL when you switch the turrets.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I've loaded 600 ish rounds with it since Sunday, the only issues have been a few cases caught the one above and kinda jammed up and it loaded 2 primers sideways.
Mag tach primer but I read that Lee recommends CCI or Remington.

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom