Lee Load master

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The few things I learned with using my loadmaster is dont completely fill the bullet feed tubes and dont try to go too fast, smooth motion, not ram and jam. Early on I messed up the little plastic piece in the primer feed.
Yea slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Sent from the Armory

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If crimping makes that much of a difference then I would like to see what your rounds do after they have been crimped, but I have to ask what is a factory advantage? Have not heard that term yet.
Yea if crimping improves accuracy I might use my Pro in a 600 yard challenge hahah

Sent from the Armory

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If crimping makes that much of a difference then I would like to see what your rounds do after they have been crimped, but I have to ask what is a factory advantage? Have not heard that term yet.

The term factory advantage comes form the Lee loading manual, and I think it has to do with the pressure values. The factory crimp also allows the bullet to be set at different seating depths that do not necessarily match the candeler of the bullet. The crimp also allows you to have ammo that is not so sensitive to being banged around in your hunting ride. Dropping a box of non-crimped ammo could make several rounds unusable until they could be fixed.

I have always crimped so I don't know what differences in groups I would see by not crimping. Groups are a hard way to measure consistency due to the multitude of variables at play during shooting. However, I have had people comment on my velocity spreads on the chronograph. One day at the range, I was working up a load for my long range rifle. My 5 shot groups were showing my normal very small deviations on the chronograph, and the guy with a chono next to me said he didn't believe my spreads. I ran 5 through his uprights and his chrono recorded similar spreads to mine.

Do I contribute great groups and small deviations of velocity to crimping? No, absolutely not. I spend an incredible amount of time preparing every case to be the same for my precision loads. I double measure my charges on the balance and electronic scales. I also make for sure that my finished loads measure exactly the same and match my saved load data.

The precision loads I just referenced were loaded on my single stage. My Load Master is used mostly for plinking ammo.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
crimping makes a difference because it prevent setback to prevent variances in case volume and unven release upon ignition.

Thats part of the theory. I crimp cases for the safety of not having setback.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
crimping makes a difference because it prevent setback to prevent variances in case volume and unven release upon ignition.

Thats part of the theory. I crimp cases for the safety of not having setback.
Set back? What's the easiest way to crimp.

.....and I for got how prep rifle cases, mostly moving the necks back....crap

Sent from the Armory

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Setback is what happens when the bullet seats farther into the case due to jarring the round by dropping it, it getting jarred in the magazine etc.

Lee offers a factory crimp die for most calibers that works very well.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Setback is what happens when the bullet seats farther into the case due to jarring the round by dropping it, it getting jarred in the magazine etc.

Lee offers a factory crimp die for most calibers that works very well.
So I'd need one for 9 and one for .223?

Sent from the Armory

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Of you have a set of lee dies for the 9mm, the seating die will provide a roll crimp, which is sufficient. The Lee instructions will explain how to seat the bullet and use the crimp at the same time.

The 223 requires it's own crimp and is a round that can really benefit from it. The Lee Factory Crimp die is inexpensive and well worth the investment.

Don't get me wrong, there are two sides to the crimp discussion. Some feel crimping actually reduces accuracy. There are endless discussions on the subject all over the internet.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of you have a set of lee dies for the 9mm, the seating die will provide a roll crimp, which is sufficient. The Lee instructions will explain how to seat the bullet and use the crimp at the same time.

The 223 requires it's own crimp and is a round that can really benefit from it. The Lee Factory Crimp die is inexpensive and well worth the investment.

Don't get me wrong, there are two sides to the crimp discussion. Some feel crimping actually reduces accuracy. There are endless discussions on the subject all over the internet.
It didn't come with the crimp die :(

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom