Lee Load master

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In the picture below, the left two have a crimp made by a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The rightmost is crimped using the Lee bullet seater with the roll crimp built in.

Left is 30-06 with light FCD crimp, middle 30-30 with heavy FCD crimp, right 45Colt with heavy roll crimp.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the picture below, the left two have a crimp made by a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The rightmost is crimped using the Lee bullet seater with the roll crimp built in.

Left is 30-06 with light FCD crimp, middle 30-30 with heavy FCD crimp, right 45Colt with heavy roll crimp.

I understand that you're only supposed to crimp if the bullet has serrations.

Or is it to each his own?

Sent from the Armory

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Serrations are called the cannelure. You can crimp outside of the cannelure without problems as the OAL of the round is more important than the crimp location. in fact, many of my rounds crimp outside of it - many don't have one at all and get crimped. (none of the rounds in the pic have a cannelure).

OAL trumps cannelure location every time.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serrations are called the cannelure. You can crimp outside of the cannelure without problems as the OAL of the round is more important than the crimp location. in fact, many of my rounds crimp outside of it - many don't have one at all and get crimped. (none of the rounds in the pic have a cannelure).

OAL trumps cannelure location every time.
Yea I forgot what they were called.
Looks like I need a 9mm crimper

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom