Lee Pro 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lee will sometimes not fully seat, usually does. Will skip primers all together. Sometimes the powder drop does not work.

Deprime always works, brass and bullet feed are spotless as is the loading and seating die positions.

Likely a setup issue on my part but several of us could not improve reliability. I got a Hornady drop to try instead of the Lee with discs.

The pin for inserting primers seems to be consistent then it is light for one or two.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lee will sometimes not fully seat, usually does. Will skip primers all together. Sometimes the powder drop does not work.

Deprime always works, brass and bullet feed are spotless as is the loading and seating die positions.

Likely a setup issue on my part but several of us could not improve reliability. I got a Hornady drop to try instead of the Lee with discs.

The pin for inserting primers seems to be consistent then it is light for one or two.
Using a Lee powder "thrower" with the discs that sit below the powder can be problematic.

Some tweaks you can do to one of those that I have done to both of mine.

The spring that pulls the disc back runs right on a rib under the unit I have ground that rib away some so the spring moves freely.

With some expanders and small powder drops I have found the hole in the unit base that the disc hole is supposed to go over the top of is not far enough back.

I have ground and polished that hole larger.
Elongated that hole towards the middle of the unit.
Now I get all powder drops with minimal case neck flare.

Stick powders I do not use in it just ball of flake.

That brings up another issue with that disc powder measure.
The gap at the top of the disc between disc and powder container is too large for some powders.

Powder can get in that small crevice and trickles all over the unit and into the primer area if it has a bottom feed primer set up.

To fix it look at what the powder container sits on.
2 flat walls.
File those walls down some to eliminate that gap.

Less powder in that gap and it will articulate better and throws will be much more consistent.
That's all I have for now.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any updates on the Lee 4000?

The only exp I have had is single stage, and a Dillon 550b many years ago. I have thought about moving up to something faster that I can load 5.56mm for AR, possible .300 BO, .45 acp, .38 spcl. For .357 mag, .45 colt, 44 mag, and rifle cal I’ll stick to single stage.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He has ran thousands of rounds through it and loves it.
Another buddy used it and he wanted to buy one for himself.

Pretty good pace can be had when doing pistol ammo and a lee disc or other type of powder measure that is actuated by the press and lee die.

For .223 rifle cases or other rifle cases we have too many steps in the reloading process to benefit from a full progressive.

You must lube then size.
Then remove from press and remove lube trim and chamfer the case and I brush necks.
Then I measure all ID and OD of case necks.
Then into the press to prime and I suppose you could have a press mounted powder drop but I like to see in my cases and make sure the right volume of powder is in there.

Then seat a bullet and done.

For rifle if I have a small grain powder that drops consistent charges from a powder measure I will stick all my cases in a loading block and fill them with powder.

Then inspect powder level and back in the press and seat bullet.

Progressive will NEVER work for me with rifle cases.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 4000 is a very nice press. I have an older 3 hole turret that I have not used very much. I made the decision to spend just a bit more and got the Pro 6000. the 6000 does not have interchangeable turrets. all the dies and powder measure are on breech lock adapters. I wanted to be able to run a powder check die (DA electronic), maybe a bullet feed die, along with separate bullet seating and then crimping. only loaded 2,000 or so 38Spec and 35 300BO. changed out the case feed to a better 3D printed version. they can be a bit finicky but ran 500 in one batch with no issues. Will run 223/300BO but probably no bigger rifle cases on the progressive. I have 5 of the auto disk powder feeders that will be set up to throw a certain powder charge, though it only takes a minute to change the disk. bigger charges will go thru the drum measurer. lee use to make a half thickness disk for the auto disk. I was about to order a 3D printed version, when I found one in the boxes of gear my buddy and I have picked up. thinking I will use it for the light charges used in 380ACP.

If money was no objective, I would probably have a Dillon. I had an early one 35 years ago and it was stolen from my storage unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom