LEO and open carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that if you open carry and keep a good natured response to your local police that after the first 1 or 2 contacts with you due to someone calling in a "man with a gun" that they will start recognizing you when they see you and remember you have a permit.. and leave you alone... they will just go on about their business or else tell the reporting party that your OK.

Just don't be one of those guys like some Renta-cops or a Barney Fife who are always resting their hand on the grip or near the weapon.. or constantly fiddling with the holster or hitching up their pants. Get some suspenders if you need help keeping it up.. but don't fiddle with it all the time... as it will make people nervous.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming OC passes there will definitely be a learning curve for both OC'rs and Peace Officers.

We've discussed how those that choose to OC will have to change certain habits, train, decide when and where it is appropriate to OC and other topics at length in this and other threads.

What hasn't been discussed is what adjustments LEO's will have to make.

It would be interesting to hear from our LEO members what adjustments they believe will be necessary on their part.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The big adjustment is going to be establishing the mindset, from the get-go, that someone openly carrying a holstered firearm is not automatically a threat, a suspect, or subject to detainment for the purposes of establishing lawful carry.

I stated in another thread a long time ago.

It is a crime to drive without a valid license/insurance...yet every motorist is not stopped just because they are driving.
It is a crime to kidnap a child, yet every adult walking with a child cannot be detained to ascertain custody.
It is a crime to steal a TV, yet everyone carrying a TV cannot be detained and asked for a receipt.

It would be a crime to open carry without a permit, yet everyone otherwise engaged in lawful behaviour cannot/should not be detained and asked for a permit simply because they were openly carrying a gun.

Panicked "man with a gun" calls will need to be handled with common sense and some intestinal fortitude on the part of administrators (yeah, I know that's the hard part). "I'd like to report a man wearing a gun at Walmart", "What is the man wearing a gun doing?", "Well he's just out walking around", "Sorry, Sir/Ma'am that is not a crime in Oklahoma. Have a nice day".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming OC passes there will definitely be a learning curve for both OC'rs and Peace Officers.

We've discussed how those that choose to OC will have to change certain habits, train, decide when and where it is appropriate to OC and other topics at length in this and other threads.

It would be interesting to hear from our LEO members what adjustments they believe will be necessary on their part.

It will have to go out on OLETS (Oklahoma Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) that the law has changed and the effective date. It will be the responsibility of the agency administrators to ensure that this is communicated to all officers and dispatchers. Smart agencies will develop policies and procedures to deal with field contacts involving citizens carrying openly. If I were an administrator, I'd require field supervisors to review those contacts initially and ensure that all officers were handling the contacts with officer safety AND citizen rights in mind.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big adjustment is going to be establishing the mindset, from the get-go, that someone openly carrying a holstered firearm is not automatically a threat, a suspect, or subject to detainment for the purposes of establishing lawful carry.

I stated in another thread a long time ago.

It is a crime to drive without a valid license/insurance...yet every motorist is not stopped just because they are driving.
It is a crime to kidnap a child, yet every adult walking with a child cannot be detained to ascertain custody.
It is a crime to steal a TV, yet everyone carrying a TV cannot be detained and asked for a receipt.

It would be a crime to open carry without a permit, yet everyone otherwise engaged in lawful behaviour cannot/should not be detained and asked for a permit simply because they were openly carrying a gun.

Panicked "man with a gun" calls will need to be handled with common sense and some intestinal fortitude on the part of administrators (yeah, I know that's the hard part). "I'd like to report a man wearing a gun at Walmart", "What is the man wearing a gun doing?", "Well he's just out walking around", "Sorry, Sir/Ma'am that is not a crime in Oklahoma. Have a nice day".

this...

And to the LEO who said he had to fire a warning shot at a concealed carrier, what did the individual do to get this reaction? I am interested purely for educational reasons. You said he was chasing after a shoplifter, was the firearm in his hand? Did he make a motion to turn and point it at you? Did he not heed verbal commands?

If you don't mind answering I would like to know, any illustration to others on how not to behave is a good one to learn from.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this...

And to the LEO who said he had to fire a warning shot at a concealed carrier, what did the individual do to get this reaction? I am interested purely for educational reasons. You said he was chasing after a shoplifter, was the firearm in his hand? Did he make a motion to turn and point it at you? Did he not heed verbal commands?

If you don't mind answering I would like to know, any illustration to others on how not to behave is a good one to learn from.

I believe you misread his post. It was the permit holder who had no business intervening that fired the warning shot, not the officer responding.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you misread his post. It was the permit holder who had no business intervening that fired the warning shot, not the officer responding.

my mistake, the way it was written made it unclear to me.

CC firing a warning shot at someone taking property he is in no way affiliated with...that would irritate me beyond belief if I was a LEO.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When Concealed Carry was being discussed those against it said that those who carried under the new law would be more likely to use their weapon for reasons other than self defense. That there would be blood in the streets if honest citizens were allowed to carry.

That has been proven to be wrong.

Now the anti's are claiming that those same individuals, who did not go on killing sprees when they got their permits, will suddenly go on killing sprees if they are allowed to change the way they carry their weapons.

Michael

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Concealed Carry was being discussed those against it said that those who carried under the new law would be more likely to use their weapon for reasons other than self defense. That there would be blood in the streets if honest citizens were allowed to carry.

That has been proven to be wrong.

Now the anti's are claiming that those same individuals, who did not go on killing sprees when they got their permits, will suddenly go on killing sprees if they are allowed to change the way they carry their weapons.

Michael
I wish people would stop trying to predict the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom