LEO jurisdictions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious, but can a LEO pull someone over wherever they are? I ask because I saw an Owasso LEO with someone pulled over on Broadway Extension.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure it wasn't just a motorist assist? Someone broken down and they pulled in behind the car with lights on for safety. I've done it quite a few times outside of my jurisdiction.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This morning a Mustang Police Officer had someone pulled over on County Line Road and 152. This isn't as far out of town as yours were of course. It just struck me as a little weird.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure it wasn't just a motorist assist? Someone broken down and they pulled in behind the car with lights on for safety. I've done it quite a few times outside of my jurisdiction.

Maybe, but the motorist wasn't outside their vehicle. LEO had all his lights blazing. Looked more like a stop to me, but I could be wrong.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on lots of things...for example...is the officer cross commissioned say through the DA's office, does he hold another commission say as a reserve in the county as well as the municipality he works in...was he asked by another jurisdiction who was busy at the time to respond to something where they have a multi jurisdiction agreement with each other....So All I can say to answer you question is there are many instances where he can be outside of his marked jurisdiction but be covered by something else.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've wondered this myself, since I see cruisers from other towns in Tulsa quite often, presumably for training or conferences. Can a Bixby cop pull over someone in Broken Arrow for a moving violation that took place in BA, for example?

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad, a retired LEO, answered this for me a while back.

The short answer is Yes,
they can however unless they have cross-jurisdiction they can NOT issue any citations. What the can do is call in an LEO who does have jurisdiction and have them issue a citation. My dad said there were only a few times that on his way to work, he would cross through a small stretch of Edmond (he was OKCPD) and he pulled a few people over for excessive speeding (50+ in a 35) and he would call in Edmond or Oklahoma County because it was a severe trouble spot near our house that had resulted in many fatalities.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My money is on motorist assist....

I was in Georgia for training once and witnessed a nasty accident on the Highway in the late evening.... I had absolutely NO jurisdiction.....but did I stop, turn lights on, and help until the locals got there...... Absolutely!

Latest posts

Top Bottom