Let it happen and don't wear a mask

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We squandered our shutdown and everyone went to Home Depot.
"Since I'm off work I might as well get my projects done".
We took the full economic hit and got only partial benefit from lower infection rate.

We don't have nearly enough testing capacity.
Infectious disease experts are unanimous on that.
And we aren't planning seriously to improve our testing capacity.
You know why?
Because we need to just learn to live with it. That's why.

So thousands of people were protesting huddled together and you're blaming Home Depot from 6 weeks ago LOL??

In terms of testing..... what nation has tested more than us other than China? In which their numbers are complete BS but whatever.

Seems that phrase has you triggered and the MSM has told you what it means. But hey let's be honest, you wanted Hillary in office and nothing this administration does will be enough.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So thousands of people were protesting huddled together and you're blaming Home Depot from 6 weeks ago LOL??

In terms of testing..... what nation has tested more than us other than China? In which their numbers are complete BS but whatever.

Seems that phrase has you triggered and the MSM has told you what it means. But hey let's be honest, you wanted Hillary in office and nothing this administration does will be enough.
You can't be serious.
When accounting for population size we are way back behind many other countries as far as testing goes.
People in TX are lining up and waiting for hours to get tested.
Imagine what it will be like in the Fall when seasonal flu returns in addition to CV with similar symptoms.
Summer is our best chance at knocking this virus down.

I don't ask a lot.
Just don't tell me to "Learn to live with it" because testing, contact tracing, and isolation are so dam difficult all of a sudden.
I refuse to lower the bar that low.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And yet they got their infection under control while we just have to learn to live with it.

So does that tell us that maybe our epidemiology experts are feeding us a line of BS for some other purpose? If the media went away and stopped covering covid, it would be just like any other affliction that Americans die from every day. Americans have been bent over and taking for the last three months and few question anything, and when someone does, they're shamed, mocked, told that they're going to kill all the old people, etc....and we just stay bent over taking it. Couple of the other forums I'm on, the owners have been banning the America haters, I think it's a fantastic idea, I wish OSA would do the same. Notice I didn't say Trump haters, but America haters.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does that tell us that maybe our epidemiology experts are feeding us a line of BS for some other purpose? If the media went away and stopped covering covid, it would be just like any other affliction that Americans die from every day. Americans have been bent over and taking for the last three months and few question anything, and when someone does, they're shamed, mocked, told that they're going to kill all the old people, etc....and we just stay bent over taking it. Couple of the other forums I'm on, the owners have been banning the America haters, I think it's a fantastic idea, I wish OSA would do the same. Notice I didn't say Trump haters, but America haters.
Our epidemiology experts are being ignored for the most part.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's too much tinfoil in so many posts across the board here. Nobody here on OSA, that I know of anyway, is an epidemiologist or any other kind of expert on infectious diseases. There's been so many back and forth directives and motions; wear a mask/don't wear a mask. Stay home; go about your daily life. All we can do is argue about it. NO ONE is happy about this situation re: COVID-19. Add the whole George Floyd thing and how that has blossomed into peaceful and not so peaceful demonstrations and protests, and what do we get? I went in to Aldi yesterday and some people had masks on, including me, and others, including people with small children, even babies, were strolling around as if it was this time last year.

But people have to get back to work. There's no denying that. That single mom pushing the cart with two unprotected kids beside her has to shop to be able to feed those kids. You think you're gonna get that two-year old kid to keep that mask on "his/her/prefer not to say" face? And uh oh here we are; which bathroom do I use now? I am going to wear a mask if the business owner wants me to and I want to shop in their store. I may wear a mask anyway; probably will, I mean; it can't hurt, according to the current wisdom. I thank God I'm retired, or other wise, I'd either be working or seeking a job. I'm going to go about my daily life with reasonable precautions because really, I have no other choice except to huddle in my house, waiting for the virus to somehow find me (in the group most likely to get it bad and maybe die" category). Too damn old to be out.

We are in the midst of a major pandemic. It's ridiculous to even try to compare numbers, the number of tests and percentages and such. And positive vs negative results is meaningless anyway unless everyone, and I mean everyone is tested. Even then, that just means you were negative at the time they stuck that swab up your nose.

IMO, a vaccine is our only hope in beating this back. But then, we still have to have enough people get vaccinated to be able to slow the thing down and contain it. Vaccines don't mean you can't get "it", in most cases anyway. They do keep most from getting "it", and may help lessen symptoms if you do. I'll get one as soon as they become available and my Doctor tell me I should/can.

Much of the anger and argument is from the fact that we are basically, victims of both the virus as well as the many reactions to it. Let's say I want to drive down to Dallas to visit my grandkids: When I stop for gas at the QT right off I-35 and highway 380, do I mask up to go in for an Icee? What are their requirements compared to back here at home? Am I gonna get a ticket if I go in someplace without my mask? Is that guy gonna punch me in the nose because I DO have a mask on and he just lost his job? Heck, there's no standard set of rules/guidelines, even here, it all differs community to community. Oh sure, the CDC says this and that, but the Mayor of Spotonmap, Oklahoma, has declared all persons in his town MUST wear a mask or risk arrest and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. So I pull into Spotonmap and into the OnCue there to gas up on my way home. I get out of muh truck without my mask to fill 'er up and suddenly, find myself face down with a couple of Spotonmap finest cuffing me up as they tow my vehicle away. My crime? Being in public with out a mask on. $100 fine plus mo' money to get muh truck back. Isn't stuff like this happening? Sort of anyway, in some places.

This whole COVID-19 thing and how we are dealing with it is crazy.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There's too much tinfoil in so many posts across the board here. Nobody here on OSA, that I know of anyway, is an epidemiologist or any other kind of expert on infectious diseases. There's been so many back and forth directives and motions; wear a mask/don't wear a mask. Stay home; go about your daily life. All we can do is argue about it. NO ONE is happy about this situation re: COVID-19. Add the whole George Floyd thing and how that has blossomed into peaceful and not so peaceful demonstrations and protests, and what do we get? I went in to Aldi yesterday and some people had masks on, including me, and others, including people with small children, even babies, were strolling around as if it was this time last year.

But people have to get back to work. There's no denying that. That single mom pushing the cart with two unprotected kids beside her has to shop to be able to feed those kids. You think you're gonna get that two-year old kid to keep that mask on "his/her/prefer not to say" face? And uh oh here we are; which bathroom do I use now? I am going to wear a mask if the business owner wants me to and I want to shop in their store. I may wear a mask anyway; probably will, I mean; it can't hurt, according to the current wisdom. I thank God I'm retired, or other wise, I'd either be working or seeking a job. I'm going to go about my daily life with reasonable precautions because really, I have no other choice except to huddle in my house, waiting for the virus to somehow find me (in the group most likely to get it bad and maybe die" category). Too damn old to be out.

We are in the midst of a major pandemic. It's ridiculous to even try to compare numbers, the number of tests and percentages and such. And positive vs negative results is meaningless anyway unless everyone, and I mean everyone is tested. Even then, that just means you were negative at the time they stuck that swab up your nose.

IMO, a vaccine is our only hope in beating this back. But then, we still have to have enough people get vaccinated to be able to slow the thing down and contain it. Vaccines don't mean you can't get "it", in most cases anyway. They do keep most from getting "it", and may help lessen symptoms if you do. I'll get one as soon as they become available and my Doctor tell me I should/can.

Much of the anger and argument is from the fact that we are basically, victims of both the virus as well as the many reactions to it. Let's say I want to drive down to Dallas to visit my grandkids: When I stop for gas at the QT right off I-35 and highway 380, do I mask up to go in for an Icee? What are their requirements compared to back here at home? Am I gonna get a ticket if I go in someplace without my mask? Is that guy gonna punch me in the nose because I DO have a mask on and he just lost his job? Heck, there's no standard set of rules/guidelines, even here, it all differs community to community. Oh sure, the CDC says this and that, but the Mayor of Spotonmap, Oklahoma, has declared all persons in his town MUST wear a mask or risk arrest and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. So I pull into Spotonmap and into the OnCue there to gas up on my way home. I get out of muh truck without my mask to fill 'er up and suddenly, find myself face down with a couple of Spotonmap finest cuffing me up as they tow my vehicle away. My crime? Being in public with out a mask on. $100 fine plus mo' money to get muh truck back. Isn't stuff like this happening? Sort of anyway, in some places.

This whole COVID-19 thing and how we are dealing with it is crazy.

Agreed, divide and conquer, divide and conquer, they're doing a great job, and 90% of the population doing a great job at falling for it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't be serious.
When accounting for population size we are way back behind many other countries as far as testing goes.
People in TX are lining up and waiting for hours to get tested.
Imagine what it will be like in the Fall when seasonal flu returns in addition to CV with similar symptoms.
Summer is our best chance at knocking this virus down.

I don't ask a lot.
Just don't tell me to "Learn to live with it" because testing, contact tracing, and isolation are so dam difficult all of a sudden.
I refuse to lower the bar that low.

I'm dead serious. You can't see the forest for the trees.

People wait hours in populated areas? OH NOES!! Do they get a test? Can you get a test in Oklahoma? Specifically, how about you? Where do you live? Explain how difficult it is? 4-5 months ago we had no tests, now we have conducted 36,000,000 tests.

Now you say summer is our best chance of knocking this thing down, when you recently posted an article talking about how numbers have gone up during the summer... "because everyone was going back inside." So which is it?

Tests are available to a vast majority.
Antibody test are available everywhere.
There are several drugs showing effectiveness
Convalescent plasma transfer has shown effectiveness
A vaccine is on the way
Ventilators are available
The mortality rate is STILL very low.

So yeah...Learn to live with it and get ahold of yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom