Lets see all the AR's!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you shooting sub sonic ammo through that silencer?

I have. I dont most the time though. My sub load is a 70gr Speer with somewhere around 4.5gr of trail boss. Dont trust that though I had a round or two during testing that didnt exit the barrel! I checked the bore with a push rod after every shot if I even had the slightest question. Work that load up with a chrony without the can and get it just under sub sonic. Thats the safest way. With sub rounds it is very very quiet. No bolt cycling. Just a "pfft". It would hold MOA at 100 too! If I remember right it was 12MOA lower than my standard load at 100.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have. I dont most the time though. My sub load is a 70gr Speer with somewhere around 4.5gr of trail boss. Dont trust that though I had a round or two during testing that didnt exit the barrel! I checked the bore with a push rod after every shot if I even had the slightest question. Work that load up with a chrony without the can and get it just under sub sonic. Thats the safest way. With sub rounds it is very very quiet. No bolt cycling. Just a "pfft". It would hold MOA at 100 too! If I remember right it was 12MOA lower than my standard load at 100.

The youtube video sounded like the silencer was working great.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why? Just curious? Is there a link to the ATF laws?

The parts in red are what gets you in trouble when you mount a vertical grip (or AFG in my opinion) on a pistol.

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's awesome...I have always been curious about a sub load & trajectory. Sounds like fun.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's awesome...I have always been curious about a sub load & trajectory. Sounds like fun.

Everyone always says " Why not just use a .22 cal.?". Well sometimes it is a better choice. But 223 bullets (.224) are designed better than the bulk produced .22LR. And I can load a sub sonic and have the rest regular! This year I was hunting in Arkansas where its legal to use a suppressor to hunt with. I switched to my sub load, dialed my scope up, smoked a squirrel that was driving me nuts, and went back to deer hunting. The loudest noise was the squirrel hitting the ground.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. It never hurts to have a "special" magazine or two.

Looks like the vid is getting tons of hits...g' luck mate.

Stamp for my shorty should come in any day now...*sigh*

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_twins.jpg

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, here she is all finished (except the bipod mount, just have in kind of sitting there). Put the free floating quad rail on yesterday and all I lack is the mount. Not sure if I am going to keep the UTG rail covers. They just dint look right to me. Rather have the flush ones, but for the most part, I am finished.

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4047_4428412802_ce4594db07.png

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4067_4427646311_1026538497.png

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2743_4428412316_bbcfcb182c.png