Let's talk muffs ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... specifically, the electronic versions - include electronic plugs, etc. too.

What do you have, and why? Likes and dislikes? Best and worst features? What are you looking at for "next time"?

First pair I owned were Caldwells. Seemed to do pretty well at noise blocking but made occasional weird chipring noises and finally one side quit so I tossed them.

Currently have a pair of Leight Impact Sports which wear well but seem to let a lot of noise past - enough so that I find myself wearing plugs under them to feel safer.

Looking for something better, so thought I'd ask here what others are using and like (or don't).

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Academy one day looking for electronic ear protection. I was leaning toward electronic ear plugs and started reading the packages. Most of them said "not approved for shooting". Be cautious, read the labels before you buy.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had my full bag somewhere else but wanted to take a few shots. I grabbed my Harbor Freight $15 electronic muffs. Pretty amazing I could hear the birds chirping and the grass crunching under my shoes but they blocked the shot noise well. Great Backup.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MSA Supreme Pro X they are pricey, but only have one ear to hear with, I would have paid what every price. But did some research and felt these were about the best I could buy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8va4i7er5a_b

I started out with these Walkers, they work awesome as well. But when I read up on MSA, I bought those.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wal...c-earmuffs/pid-885453?color=Black&N=297483708

I've had some experience with other MSA equipment and always found it to be top notch even though pricey, sounds like their hearing protectors follow the same trend - good to know.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive had pretty good luck with Peltor slim form, active hearing protection. I used them in the military and they were reliable and worked well. The basic 6S only costs around $50.00 per set so you may want to test them out before dropping $200.00 plus on another set.

BTW - you need to put a warning on this thread. If one, in an attempt to gather other relevant data does an internet search for "Muff Info" it produces many unusual returns such:
The Muff Diving Club - a Diving Club located in Muff, County Donegal, Ireland
Plus a few other less savory references

Latest posts

Top Bottom