Let's talk muffs ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3DLINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not protect your ears and listen to music at the same time?
I use marshmallow earplugs ($20)
image.jpg
But you can also use shooting plugs earbuds like:
image.jpgimage.jpg ($20-30)

Or even use an app on the phone called "gunsonics!" And there's another one also, forgot the name.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not protect your ears and listen to music at the same time?
I use marshmallow earplugs ($20)
View attachment 48661
But you can also use shooting plugs earbuds like:
View attachment 48662View attachment 48663 ($20-30)

Or even use an app on the phone called "gunsonics!" And there's another one also, forgot the name.

Some people don't like music. Some like to concentrate on their shooting. I would imagine that some can and still do concentrate while listening to music. But I wager, the majority don't. To me I see it as a dangerous distraction while shooting weapons.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a number of different "Pro Ears Gold" models - Predator, Stalker, Pro Tac SC, etc. - is there any real difference other than appearance? They all seem to hover right around the same price point.

I think you are right. Although there are some differences in the NRR but that might be associated with the size and density of the ear cover.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people don't like music. Some like to concentrate on their shooting. I would imagine that some can and still do concentrate while listening to music. But I wager, the majority don't. To me I see it as a dangerous distraction while shooting weapons.

Music should not be a "dangerous distraction" - there are numerous studies showing that most people are better able to concentrate with appropriate music playing in the background. However, "appropriate" is the key - not all music produces the same effect. In particular, music with lyrics and loud jarring music have almost the opposite effect. Also, I suspect, that any music if the volume is high enough can become counter-productive to concentrating and being able to hear things like...range safety officer commands, cries for help, or warnings from fellow shooters, etc.

Last edited:

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mugsy, you nailed it on the music thing. Pro Ears makes some really good stuff that works well. I have a set of those and Peltor 6S. They are pretty much relegated to RSO duty. I hate trying to shoot a long gun with ear muffs. I have gone to the Surefire ear plugs.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of Howard Leight impact pro that are great while others are shooting, but they are so danged big I have to move them enough when trying to get a good cheek weld that it completely negates the whole point of wearing them... They do a great job for the price, but I would not buy them again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mugsy, you nailed it on the music thing. Pro Ears makes some really good stuff that works well. I have a set of those and Peltor 6S. They are pretty much relegated to RSO duty. I hate trying to shoot a long gun with ear muffs. I have gone to the Surefire ear plugs.

I've never had a set of muffs that allowed a good cheek weld on a rifle or shotgun. I agree that plugs are for long guns, muffs for pistol.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hoov - YOU ARE ACTUALLY SHOOTING?????????? When was the last time you shot a long gun 2005? When an 8 point walked into your scope and it turned out to be a spike?????:lmfao:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel misled by the title of this thread...but I am happy with my Walker Game ears for pistol shooting. Kids wear them when they are with me, so they can hear my instructions better

Latest posts

Top Bottom