Lets talk RV brands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Airstream isn't made by Jayco as far as I know.
Airstream owners seem to love them, but it's living in a tube that I don't like. No slides.
Our Solitude is 14' wide when the slides go out. We had a Keystone Outback for our first. 36' total length with a 29' box. Pretty much everything that looked like wood was pressed paper and glued with a wood look on the outside.
The goal among RV manufacturers is to keep things lighter so they don't require a 2 1/2 ton truck to pull them.
The big push currently seems to be 5th wheels that a 1/2 ton can pull legally.
You know the construction has to be designed to be light by using substandard materials in that situation.
From reading this tread, evidently, we got into the Grand Design Solitude before Winnebago took over. It's heavy. The wood in the cabinetry is wood. Everything that looks like wood is wood. It's billed as a double strength frame which appears to be correct.
As posted earlier, at 70,000 miles through the Rockys mostly, we are not having issues other than the Fridge that our extended warranty is going to replace at no charge. Certainly not a 2021 Grand Designs issue, it's a Samsung issue.
13.5 feet high and 101"wide. As a reference, a Semi tractor-trailer max height and width is 102" wide and 13.6 height

IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1873.jpeg
IMG_1871.jpeg

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we are not having issues other than the Fridge that our extended warranty is going to replace at no charge. Certainly not a 2021 Grand Designs issue, it's a Samsung issue.
as a side note in 2019 I did nothing but replace compressors on Samsung and Lg refrigerators for 9 months solid

Last edited:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Airstream isn't made by Jayco as far as I know.
Airstream owners seem to love them, but it's living in a tube that I don't like. No slides.
Our Solitude is 14' wide when the slides go out. We had a Keystone Outback for our first. 36' total length with a 29' box. Pretty much everything that looked like wood was pressed paper and glued with a wood look on the outside.
The goal among RV manufacturers is to keep things lighter so they don't require a 2 1/2 ton truck to pull them.
The big push currently seems to be 5th wheels that a 1/2 ton can pull legally.
You know the construction has to be designed to be light by using substandard materials in that situation.
From reading this tread, evidently, we got into the Grand Design Solitude before Winnebago took over. It's heavy. The wood in the cabinetry is wood. Everything that looks like wood is wood. It's billed as a double strength frame which appears to be correct.
As posted earlier, at 70,000 miles through the Rockys mostly, we are not having issues other than the Fridge that our extended warranty is going to replace at no charge. Certainly not a 2021 Grand Designs issue, it's a Samsung issue.
13.5 feet high and 101"wide. As a reference, a Semi tractor-trailer max height and width is 102" wide and 13.6 height

View attachment 484541View attachment 484542View attachment 484543
How long does it take to set up once you're on the pad? How often do you have to pump out the waste tank?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2021 Jayco NorthPoint 310 RLTS 5th Wheel. Overall, I’ve been happy with it so far. I will say that the first year I had trouble with the hot water supply - the check valve was sticking and the repair was covered by warranty. In late 2022 I had one of the brake shoes fall apart and damage the drum. I didn’t know about it until I was having the bearings greased. It was not not covered by warranty which I thought was BS. The other 3 drums and pads were fine which tells me this one was defective. I had my bedroom air conditioning unit malfunction in 2022 and 2023. After attempted repair in 2022 the unit was replaced under warranty in early 2023.

This is my 3rd RV and I’ve come to the conclusions that an owner will be working out bugs during the first year of ownership when purchasing a new RV. I know of others with the same experience. I’ve had no issues during the later half of 2023 and so far in 2024.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had good luck with Forest River RVs older units from 2010 and older, don’t know much about the newer years.. The one we have now is a 09, I did a partial remodel on it, on demand hot water, added a second AC unit, pulled the dinette and added recliners, added a rear camera system. But as far as any build issues, axle issues etc etc we have had none. I do believe in preventative maintenance on everything.

Going to install enough solar to run one of the AC units soon. It has one slide out that has worked perfectly, it is the Lippert System. Never an issue. We opted also for a sealed bottom/4 season. Stays warmer in the winter and way cooler in the summer. Overall we have had great use of the 3 different Forest River 5th wheels we have used. We have owned Jaycos as well and they were good units years ago. But it seems the older Inuits prior to 2010 or so were built better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as a side not in 2019 I did nothing but replace compressors on Samsung and Lg refrigerators for 9 months solid
I remember that thread. Lawsuits ongoing against those manufacturers if I remember correctly.
I was kind of apprehensive of the Samsung fridge when buying it which was one reason we bought the extended warranty.
It worked great for three years until the ice maker started dumping water into the bottom freezer.
The dealership couldn't find an icemaker that was the same, so the extended warranty kicked in.
I'm not complaining even with a $500 deductible because I get a new fridge and get to bring the old one home to use as a beer box in the garage.
My son does appliance repair, so he said the next time he comes up he will take a look at the icemaker. Said he thinks he knows what's wrong.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long does it take to set up once you're on the pad? How often do you have to pump out the waste tank?
We have the auto leveling system to control the hydraulic landing gear system.
Once we park, we run the front gear down enough to get unhooked from our Anderson hitch, move the truck, hit the auto level button and walk away. In about 45 seconds or less, it's level.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the auto leveling system to control the hydraulic landing gear system.
Once we park, we run the front gear down enough to get unhooked from our Anderson hitch, move the truck, hit the auto level button and walk away. In about 45 seconds or less, it's level.
Yep - mine has the same. Auto leveling was a great invention.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll opine. @CHenry one of your first considerations is your budget. Quality and prices are all over the board. If by yourself and dependent on how long you will be on the road, there are several very good high quality travel trailers you can't beat. Artic Fox/Northwood Manufacturing and ORV/Blackstone are probably two of the top brands in the travel trailer segment and both also make very good 5th wheels. I like my space and if I were single these would be my first choice when camping in colder climates. THey tend to be heavier on average and can be pricing compared to their competitors but seem to be worth it.

If I'm full timing with my wife or spending more time on the road than in a house, I'd personally want to go bigger in the 35'+ range. Also, I hear a lot of people say to buy a the best used one you can find over a new 5th wheel or TT. One reason is depreciation and the other is many owners will buy new and then buy all the latest and greats options and accessories that may not come with the unit from the factory. Things like upgraded hoses and cords, gensets, filter systems, kitchen and bathroom accessories, outdoor living gear, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom