Lets talk RV brands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember whether this was discussed earlier in the thread, but when purchasing a travel trailer or fifth wheel, it is wise to choose the RV based on the weight capacities of the towing vehicle. Many a person has "got a good deal" on a pickup only to find that it is too light to pull the trailer of their choice. Also, don't go by the vehicle manufacturer's "Towing Weight" rating. Look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle and then get the weight of that vehicle with full fuel and passengers and any other cargo planned on carrying in it.

Once one has the tow vehicles total weight, add that to the trailer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and make sure that the total is less than the GCWR of the tow vehicle. NEVER take the word of the salesperson, whether they be in the auto business or RV business.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good ro knew hanh you
I don't remember whether this was discussed earlier in the thread, but when purchasing a travel trailer or fifth wheel, it is wise to choose the RV based on the weight capacities of the towing vehicle. Many a person has "got a good deal" on a pickup only to find that it is too light to pull the trailer of their choice. Also, don't go by the vehicle manufacturer's "Towing Weight" rating. Look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle and then get the weight of that vehicle with full fuel and passengers and any other cargo planned on carrying in it.

Once one has the tow vehicles total weight, add that to the trailer's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and make sure that the total is less than the GCWR of the tow vehicle. NEVER take the word of the salesperson, whether they be in the auto business or RV business.
yeah, I'm no stranger to towing. I had an F350 and my 5th wheel was 9k pounds. But my horse trailer loaded up was 2 times that. A bit much truck for the 5er but I also went from Baton Rouge LA to OKC loaded to 31k lbs total with a hydraulic tilt 40' flatbed trailer and a 10k lb diesel truck on the trailer. I was overloaded (max GCWR as like 26k lbs) then but I just made sure I had stopping room and the truck pulled and drank fuel like mad.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll opine. @CHenry one of your first considerations is your budget. Quality and prices are all over the board. If by yourself and dependent on how long you will be on the road, there are several very good high quality travel trailers you can't beat. Artic Fox/Northwood Manufacturing and ORV/Blackstone are probably two of the top brands in the travel trailer segment and both also make very good 5th wheels. I like my space and if I were single these would be my first choice when camping in colder climates. THey tend to be heavier on average and can be pricing compared to their competitors but seem to be worth it.

If I'm full timing with my wife or spending more time on the road than in a house, I'd personally want to go bigger in the 35'+ range. Also, I hear a lot of people say to buy a the best used one you can find over a new 5th wheel or TT. One reason is depreciation and the other is many owners will buy new and then buy all the latest and greats options and accessories that may not come with the unit from the factory. Things like upgraded hoses and cords, gensets, filter systems, kitchen and bathroom accessories, outdoor living gear, etc.
Thanks for this. Yes I know anything with tires depreciates. My budget is on the high end especially if I sell my house, which is a consideration. Its paid for and worth about $260k. So That will buy a 5er and a new diesel truck.
I dont need 2 homes and OKC has been my lifes limit for 55 years but now has nothing more to hold me here.
Like said before, If I want a break from the RV, I can rent a condo in FL or where ever for a few months until I'm ready to hit the road again.
I'm just thinking out loud now, its a big move and I'm a heavy pre planner.

I'd like nothing more than to be in a nice 5er right now parked at Red Lodge MT at the base of Beartooth pass., then blow south about Sept.
Keep the input coming, I'm learning and planning.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like nothing more than to be in a nice 5er right now parked at Red Lodge MT at the base of Beartooth pass., then blow south about Sept.
So question to the group. Say you were doing this and moving from wayyyy up north to south Texas for the winter. You obviously can't drive it in a day, so do you rent a campground spot for the nights you are traveling? Motels? Where do you stay on road trips where you're hauling your trailer? Obviously you can stay in the trailer you are hauling, but do you set it up each night while on the road?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So question to the group. Say you were doing this and moving from wayyyy up north to south Texas for the winter. You obviously can't drive it in a day, so do you rent a campground spot for the nights you are traveling? Motels? Where do you stay on road trips where you're hauling your trailer? Obviously you can stay in the trailer you are hauling, but do you set it up each night while on the road?
Truckstop (free with a cafe for breakfast), campground...whatever. dont need to unhitch and completely set everything up to sleep and go the next morning. just find a semi level place to park and go to bed.
Easy peezy.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I would make it a few weeks trip to south TX and see some sites in between so campground are more likely. KOAs are nice but a bit pricy.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I would make it a few weeks trip to south TX and see some sites in between so campground are more likely. KOAs are nice but a bit pricy.
Exactly. I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you are. Mostly same reasons for wanting out of the city, but I still don't want to be too far detached from my daughter and granddaughters, so I may keep the house here.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making a long trek, like MT to South TX, don't overlook small town parks. MANY towns have FREE or extremely cheap overnight parking. Some is in city parks, some are downtown parking.

Dad retired, they went from here to Oregon, salmon fishing trip. The only rented parking ground they stayed in was in Las Vegas and in Oregon at the fishing camp.

For a single overnight, just set the front gear for stability and get it close to level.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Making a long trek, like MT to South TX, don't overlook small town parks. MANY towns have FREE or extremely cheap overnight parking. Some is in city parks, some are downtown parking.

Dad retired, they went from here to Oregon, salmon fishing trip. The only rented parking ground they stayed in was in Las Vegas and in Oregon at the fishing camp.

For a single overnight, just set the front gear for stability and get it close to level.
I'm been reading on a forum https://forum.expeditionportal.com/ for awhile following guys who sold the house, loaded up a truck bed camper and hit the road for months on end and yes, there are plenty of places to park free or little charge. Ive read some pretty interesting stories of peoples journey. Some go as far as to load their rig on a boat to other countries, hop a plane and pick up the rig on the other side of the drink. These stories are very rich and inspiring.
And when there's nothing left in OK for me, as in now, its something I ponder more and more rather than just stagnate and hate this city as it continues to turn to a crap hole.
Exactly. I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you are. Mostly same reasons for wanting out of the city, but I still don't want to be too far detached from my daughter and granddaughters, so I may keep the house here.
I have no family. God didnt have it my plans to reproduce (not for lack of trying lol). Mom is almost at her end, Dad is gone and my brother is in MO, sister in CA. I'm not going to CA ever again but I could park an RV at my brother's house (10 acres) and stay for a minute whenever I wanted.
Life after retirement has been an adjustment beyond any I ever experienced and this is 1 last part of it. I need a new purpose and it isnt anywhere in this city or this urban neighborhood.
Decisions.....
Hell, if you get and RV and want to travel along side with me that would be fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom