Leupold vs. Vortex warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both scopes have a lifetime warranty but there is a huge difference in warranty service time. I just sent in a scope to Leupold that they received on Monday December 12th and was advised that it will be 4-6 weeks. This is disappointing to say the least.
I have also sent in 3 scopes to Vortex for warranty service and within 10 business days I received 3 brand new scopes.

This again is not admission that I own anything that uses a scope. :)

My vote is for Vortex warranty

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is Vortex made?

According to Where Are Vortex Riflescopes Made? - Optics Trade Blog as of 2021:
Most of the high-quality rifle scope models from Vortex Optics, including Golden Eagle HD, Razor® HD, Razor® HD LH, and Razor® HD Gen II-E riflescopes, are produced in Japan. In addition, Japan-made lenses and other components are used in other rifle scope variants, especially the Vortex Razor® HD AMG that is made in the US. Products made in Japan are full of high-end features and are offered at a high price compared to other models.
Riflescopes models currently produced in China are Crossfire II, Diamondback, and Diamondback Tactical.
Viper, Viper HS, Viper HS LR, Viper HST, and Viper PST Gen II riflescopes are all produced in the Philippines.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Both scopes have a lifetime warranty but there is a huge difference in warranty service time. I just sent in a scope to Leupold that they received on Monday December 12th and was advised that it will be 4-6 weeks. This is disappointing to say the least.
I have also sent in 3 scopes to Vortex for warranty service and within 10 business days I received 3 brand new scopes.

This again is not admission that I own anything that uses a scope. :)

My vote is for Vortex warranty
Leupold repairs your scope in house just like Nightforce does.

Vortex throws your old chicom scope junk in a bin and sends you a new chicom or Philippine replacement scope. They make so much off the cheap scopes, that they can do the same with their good scopes...which almost never break.

That's the difference.

My vote is for Leupold - America!

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Vortex throws your old chicom scope junk in a bin and sends you a new chicom or Philippine replacement scope. They make so much off the cheap scopes, that they can do the same with their good scopes...which almost never break.

That's the difference.

I didn't even think about the America part and that gets my vote as well. My only problem with a repaired scope is that I did not originally buy a repaired scope. :)

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's the difference.

This is correct and is the reason I do not buy Vortex scopes, yes I am aware they sell certain US Made optics but you don't see those till you start paying well over the $1000 mark .

I sent a 6X Leupold Mountaineer made in the 1950's back to Leupold and they sent me a brand new scope , yes it took two months but the VX III HD they sent me was worth it .

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I was going to type this same thing basically.

My only warranty I sent off to Leupold took a month or so as it was fixed and not replaced. Same tube and turrets anyway.

I've never had a Vortex warrant needed though, but I've only owned the Viper and higher.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned a Vortex, but I've seen enough in use that I'm sure they're good scopes.

I've been shooting with Leupold scopes for nearly thirty years, and only used their customer service twice. (nothing defective) I've had nothing but good experiences with their CS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom