Leupold vs. Vortex warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
China, Philippines, and Japan. The MIJ scopes are good - as made in US. They are working on some made in US scopes.
They have been making scopes in the USA for years, it’s their Razor HD AMG (American Made Glass) line. A few months ago they offered a special run of their Razor Gen III 1-10x24 as an AMG.

As far as their warranty, I can video myself destroying any of their scopes with a sledgehammer, post it on YouTube, and send it in for warranty and they will honor it. You can run over it with a roller compactor, drop it from a shooting tower or have it burn up in a house fire and Vortex will fix or replace it no question asked.

Leupold does not offer that type of warranty. Years ago I sent a Leupold in for warrant. It was like pulling hens teeth dealing with them and took several months for repair. I also had to pay shipping. Leupold makes fine scopes. Their Mark 5 HD is really nice, but until they start treating their customers like they should, I won’t buy another one.

Several scopes in Leupold‘s line are manufactured overseas and assembled in the USA, therefore they’re really not made in America.

https://scopesfield.com/vortex-scopes-manufactured/

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turn my nose up at them.
That said, I don't think that my disdain for cheap scopes should be construed as not liking Vortex, Burris, and on. All of their Japanese scopes are top notch and I would buy one if they had one I liked or met my requirements. I've owned several Razor HD and they are GTG, and I'd own another. But I would take an ATACR or Leupold Mark 5 over a Razor any day all day.
You mentioned Burris, which is funny because no Burris scopes are made in their facility in Colorado, only the Steiners.

I'm of the opinion, that if somebody is on a budget and throws out a number like $500-$700, then it's a no brainer to me. Leupold first choice, then look to a Japanese made scope if you can find one. The issue with many of these companies is that they don't tell you where a scope is made in their advertising, but will if you ask.
Check out Meopta as well, they are the LOW of Europe and they have had a presence here in the states since the mid 20th century. They don't make junk ever.

What are your requirements?
NFO NX8
Horus has a really good LOW scope out too.

Meopta makes scopes for Zeiss and a couple of other top tier European scope makers FWIW . but yes their branded optics are considered to be in the lower tier European glass

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have been making scopes in the USA for years, it’s their Razor HD AMG (American Made Glass) line. A few months ago they offered a special run of their Razor Gen III 1-10x24 as an AMG.

As far as their warranty, I can video myself destroying any of their scopes with a sledgehammer, post it on YouTube, and send it in for warranty and they will honor it. You can run over it with a roller compactor, drop it from a shooting tower or have it burn up in a house fire and Vortex will fix or replace it no question asked.

Leupold does not offer that type of warranty. Years ago I sent a Leupold in for warrant. It was like pulling hens teeth dealing with them and took several months for repair. I also had to pay shipping. Leupold makes fine scopes. Their Mark 5 HD is really nice, but until they start treating their customers like they should, I won’t buy another one.

Several scopes in Leupold‘s line are manufactured overseas and assembled in the USA, therefore they’re really not made in America.

https://scopesfield.com/vortex-scopes-manufactured/

Actually no Leupold sources Japanese made glass and internals for their low end Rifleman line the scopes however are assembled in the USA . Leupold makes Leica scopes for Leica also FWIW

Vortex doesn't actually make anything including their American made scopes , it's all farmed out same for SIG they don't really make anything just branded and sold . Burris still manufactures a US Made optic once you get into their XTR III line .

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The AMG is not a thing anymore and it was their only US made scope. I'm well versed on their 1-10x as well. They do have other scopes they are working on in the US and I hope to see them hit mainstream and I'll be looking forward to it. I'll have to ask what kind of discount they'll give for those.
Leupold hasn't had an overseas scope in years either nor done the kit thing, unless they have suddenly decided to do so. I can check with them though; I know several over there. I'm not a huge Leupold fan either for certain reasons, but they make US made Lifetime warrantied affordable scopes, and that's not a lie, which is why I promote them here. Principle

This is not a warranty IMO. It's a gimmick that like I said before, they can afford to do with their cheap scopes and transfer that to their good scopes. They can take the occasional loss on a good scope replacement because of all they make on the low end, which is fine, but they don't repair anything and more often than not, more of their stuff goes back to be replaced than other companies' that actually repair their kit.

Like I said in my previous post: 👇 👇 👇 👇

That said, I don't think that my disdain for cheap scopes should be construed as not liking Vortex, Burris, and on. All of their Japanese scopes are top notch and I would buy one if they had one I liked or met my requirements. I've owned several Razor HD and they are GTG, and I'd own another. But I would take an ATACR or Leupold Mark 5 over a Razor any day all day.
Without going into stuff, I know most of these cats personally. At Shot, or wherever there's some kind of demo at Bragg or Tampa or something, we have dinner and drink beer and smoke cigars together. They know what I think.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Jevapa knows what he’s talking about. I trust him with any optic question I would have. He talked me into buying a Nightforce for my RPR and I’m glad I listened to what he taught me. Next scope on my wish list if I get another large caliber rifle is the Horus.

Now after everything he taught me though I just recently sinned and bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 that came with a Vortex Cantilever mount (mount made in China I might add) and I honestly wish I would have saved my money up but I got in a hurry wanting a scope for a certain rifle I had and didn’t want to spend a lot. I got the scope, mount, and a ‘free’ Vortex hat for $273 after tax and shipping. Not a bad deal in my opinion but maybe the Nightforce just spoiled me because this Vortex just feels… bad.

I guess I should have consulted @JEVapa on LPVO’s…

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Razor HD 1-6x is one of the best out there...in a good mount, can't be beat. Neither can a NFO NX8 1-8x - it's actually cheaper retail. You're not gonna get the massive mil discount from NFO but they'll still repair the NX8 vs replace it.
Eotech Vudus are pretty good too; they're made at LOW right alongside the Razor and everybody else. Pretty much any LOW made LPVO will be good, but look at the specs and price.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t consider myself a brand-fan-boy, I just stick to what works…….Rugers and Leupolds are tops in my (small) book. I’ve only needed the Leupold warranty once in some 30 years, and it was simply because the power dial on my VX2 A/O 4x12x40 was too tight for my aching hands. They had the scope cleaned, lubed, adjusted and home inside 2 weeks. My co-worker is a big Vortex guy, always bragging on their warranty……I’d prefer to not need the warranty😉

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually no Leupold sources Japanese made glass and internals for their low end Rifleman line the scopes however are assembled in the USA . Leupold makes Leica scopes for Leica also FWIW

Vortex doesn't actually make anything including their American made scopes , it's all farmed out same for SIG they don't really make anything just branded and sold . Burris still manufactures a US Made optic once you get into their XTR III line .
I’m sorry but I believe you’re incorrect. When Vortex was making their HD AMG scopes they were 100% all American made, not sourced and assembled in the USA, but made in the USA.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/01/american-manufactured-vortex-razor-hd-amg/
Several years ago there was a law suit in Calf concerning source manufacturing and labeling. This law suit moved companies to rightly change their deceptive labeling from “made in America” to “assembled in America” when parts were sourced from other countries.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Razor HD 1-6x is one of the best out there...in a good mount, can't be beat. Neither can a NFO NX8 1-8x - it's actually cheaper retail. You're not gonna get the massive mil discount from NFO but they'll still repair the NX8 vs replace it.
Eotech Vudus are pretty good too; they're made at LOW right alongside the Razor and everybody else. Pretty much any LOW made LPVO will be good, but look at the specs and price.
I have the Razor on my JPE and when I compared it to the NF you mentioned above I found it’s eye box to be less forgiving than the Razor when comparing both a 6x. The Razor at 1x is very much like a red dot and your vision is not obscure by any of the dials of the scope. I bought it new a few years ago for a little less than a grand. The only complaint I and everyone else has with it is it’s stiff magnification ring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom