Leupold vs. Vortex warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just shoot a 1" square on the 100 yard target. Yep, that's about an inch.
I understand how that is not good enough for long range though but minute of deer, it's pretty good.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss spoke concerning Leupold offering discounts to vets. Years ago they only offered discounts to active military personnel. Today they have a VIP program which offers discounts to veterans as well as many others. Qualifying as a veteran was quick and easy. All that was required was your name, branch of service, DOB, and date (month/year) of military separation. It’s down right scary how much is known about us in where ever land. So go check it out, you might save a few bucks on your next purchase

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Off topic, but Leupold is also involved in instrumentation. We used one of their level recorders to record lake levels when I worked at Sooner Power Plant.
Back on topic, I've owned one VariX-II. It had the worst parallax of any scope I've ever owned and never bought another one. That was in the 80's and it went out the door with one of the few rifles/guns I've ever sold.
Good to hear they have upped their game.

Leupold and Stevens started out making surveying equipment long before they were in the hunting optics business . When I worked out west it was very common to find antique L&S engineering compasses and theodolites at flea markets etc.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been in the long range game a long time. Please school me on which Mark 4 scopes fifteen years ago had zero stops, first focal plane, 34mm tubes, illumination, 30 or more MRAD of adjustment a usable reticle other than mil dot. Leupold enjoyed a fat and happy life as an optic for the everyday hunter but when the everyday hunter needed more and asked for it Leupold didn’t respond. Sure they had something for the bench rest shooter but that scope doesn’t serve a purpose in the mountains of Colorado after elk or in the plains after antelope

My argument isn’t that Leupold makes a bad product. They make a very good product. My argument is they are much slower in meeting the needs of the customer, and if I’m going to spend thousands of dollars on a lifetime product, they damn well better take care of me in a timely manner. Also, Vortex is veteran owned. I would rather support them than the liberals out in Oregon.

I never spoke to zero stops or some of the features you were complaining there being a lack of . I do not hate choices mind you , but MANY successful long range shooters won competitions with L&S scopes before the Johnny come lately companies showed up . FWIW I don't hate Vortex but I also don't care if its an American owned company because 90% plus of their offerings are Chinese made . Sorta means you're putting money into Communist China as much as you are the US in my mind .

Don't get me wrong I'll buy some foreign made stuff because I have to like everyone else but my preference is US Made then European and lastly Made in Asia with Japanese made optics at the front of the line.

A final thought Those everyday hunter types you mentioned including myself have shot a lot of animals with a VXIII over the years sans very busy reticles that many newer scopes tend to have in them , sometimes less is more in that respect and I haven't missed very many animals over the years .

Last edited:

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few of both, personally I could care less where a scope is made as long as it works for my eyes. I’ve had some scopes that I couldn’t use but for me the importance lies in optical quality. Then again what do I know my most expensive scope was $500 🤣 and it’s a vortex

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never spoke to zero stops or some of the features you were complaining there being a lack of . I do not hate choices mind you , but MANY successful long range shooters won competitions with L&S scopes before the Johnny come lately companies showed up . FWIW I don't hate Vortex but I also don't care if its an American owned company because 90% plus of their offerings are Chinese made . Sorta means you're putting money into Communist China as much as you are the US in my mind .

Don't get me wrong I'll buy some foreign made stuff because I have to like everyone else but my preference is US Made then European and lastly Made in Asia with Japanese made optics at the front of the line.

A final thought Those everyday hunter types you mentioned including myself have shot a lot of animals with a VXIII over the years sans very busy reticles that many newer scopes tend to have in them , sometimes less is more in that respect and I haven't missed very many animals over the years .
My first scope on a center fire rifle 44 years ago was a Leupold 3-9x40. Over the years this scope was inadequate for the distances I was getting comfortable shooting. At that time Leupold didn’t offer what I considered to be minimum for a long range hunting scope. What you call busy in a reticle I call necessary to make on the fly adjustments due to range and/or wind correction.

Ray Dennis, founder of Nightforce stated in a 2017 interview with The Firearms Blog they source glass from Europe, Japan and yes even China.

But you never hear anyone hating on Nightforce because they use Chinese crap on some of their scopes. They were one of the very first scopes to be 50 cal rated because they had etched glass reticles. They also outsource the etching process.

Nightforce, a 1990’s company and Vortex, an early 2000 company are killing it in the shooting community. These are your so called Johnny come lately outfits. If you look at what the professional shooters are using with regards to scopes currently in the Precision Rifle Series you’ll find Vortex leading everyone almost doubling Leupold at number two followed by ZCO (another Johnny come lately), and Nightforce.

I love the boastful pride of some who say, “I refuse to buy Chinese crap” when they have a house full of it including the cell phone in their hand.

Believe it or not but there is good to extremely good Chinese sourced scopes out there. Sadly, the scope snob’s boastful ignorant pride will never allow them to see it.

Good day to you sir

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first scope on a center fire rifle 44 years ago was a Leupold 3-9x40. Over the years this scope was inadequate for the distances I was getting comfortable shooting. At that time Leupold didn’t offer what I considered to be minimum for a long range hunting scope. What you call busy in a reticle I call necessary to make on the fly adjustments due to range and/or wind correction.

Ray Dennis, founder of Nightforce stated in a 2017 interview with The Firearms Blog they source glass from Europe, Japan and yes even China.

But you never hear anyone hating on Nightforce because they use Chinese crap on some of their scopes. They were one of the very first scopes to be 50 cal rated because they had etched glass reticles. They also outsource the etching process.

Nightforce, a 1990’s company and Vortex, an early 2000 company are killing it in the shooting community. These are your so called Johnny come lately outfits. If you look at what the professional shooters are using with regards to scopes currently in the Precision Rifle Series you’ll find Vortex leading everyone almost doubling Leupold at number two followed by ZCO (another Johnny come lately), and Nightforce.

I love the boastful pride of some who say, “I refuse to buy Chinese crap” when they have a house full of it including the cell phone in their hand.

Believe it or not but there is good to extremely good Chinese sourced scopes out there. Sadly, the scope snob’s boastful ignorant pride will never allow them to see it.

Good day to you sir

I never said I don't buy foreign made stuff I said it's at the bottom of my list and yes the house if full of Chinese made junk like everyone else's place hard not to buy non Chinese made consumer goods now days. , if you are OK consciously supporting the CCP good for you, I find it funny how you brag on Vortex and have yet to mention March Tactical which is heads and shoulders above Vortex , Japanese made optics by the way .

If I was going to be buying an Asian made scope for competition it would be a March well before a Vortex

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been very disappointed with Leupold over the years. I just seem to have terrible luck with their scopes. Had to send 3 of 3 in for repairs/replacement. I know people that swear by them though.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been very disappointed with Leupold over the years. I just seem to have terrible luck with their scopes. Had to send 3 of 3 in for repairs/replacement. I know people that swear by them though.

I can believe it your mileage may vary is always a factor with anything and everything. Nothing is 100% all the time for everyone . I have bad luck with wrist watches , cheap ones never last me and good ones often end up needing some servicing no matter what I do, and I have mostly tried them all at this point.

Broncos

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have taken deer at 413 yards with a Simmons 4.4-14 scope on a .243 Sako and one with a tikka at 339 yards topped with a Nikon 6-24 scope I topped my rifles with the best scope I could afford and let the shooter and rifle do the rest Both shoot 3 shot holes at 100 yards smaller than a dime

Latest posts

Top Bottom