Leupold vs. Vortex warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have jumped the gun since it is still 4-6 weeks out for me to see what Leupold will do. Oops. :)
Never had to send any of my leupold scopes in vortex 3 of them got new scopes back so 3-0 not in a good way
I have at least 10 leopold 1-4 vx2 up to there high end 1-4 are at least 30 years old or mor love them

JWBroo

Marksman
Reaction score
Leupold builds or repairs their scopes in house but using glass and components from Japan. Their low end binoculars and spotting scopes come from China. Vortex, Burris, Tract, Ziess, Steiner, etc all do the same. The only real difference is Leupold makes the tubes and other components needed in house.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The only real difference is Leupold makes the tubes and other components needed in house.
In the scope world, that's the most important part - the metal - includes not just tubes, but the opto-mechanical assemblies and the riflescope design that they manage, including qualification and testing. Optics and assemblies are sourced from all over and is reflected in pricing and class of scope. A $1200 Mark 4 does not have chicom glass in it.

Zeiss and Steiner use Meopta glass in most all their OEM. Steiner scopes not made in Colorado are made in Europe. Everyone else who uses Japanese glass is getting it from LOW - either optics or entire scopes (mostly the latter. BTW, anything LOW is as good as MIUS - so if you get a scope that says MIJ, you're gtg.) They also get scope kits so they can say "built in the US" - this includes chicom, Phil, and LOW.

When your business buys chicom and Phil scopes for $20-$50 and sells them for $700 or more, you can definitely afford to swap out broke-ass scopes. You can even cover the costs of a high-end Japanese scope swap (they never break).

I buy Japanese, US, or Euro made and I know what's what. Anything not Japanese (LOW), US (Corning, Schott, LOW, Meopta) or Euro made, is probably on the junk side of things. I don't buy it. You can, I don't. I guess I'm a scope snob.

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to be upfront and tell it like it is when it comes to a Leupold vs Vortex and a lot of other scope makers or at least sellers . Vortex really doesn't make much of anything I can tell.

Leupold scopes do not tend to be as optically clear or bright as many scopes these days for a given price point. You have to spend some big money to get a Leupold that will be brighter and clearer than some import scopes which are often times cheaper. So its not my primary reason for buying a Leupold , the reason I buy Leupold scopes for hunting rifles and I don't Vortex is because Leupold scopes always track well and they RARELY ever lose their adjustment or ability to track reliably. It just that simple the most important feature to me in a scope is the ability to maintain or return to zero.

I have numerous scopes laying around on different guns , but if its gonna see the woods and probably get knocked about it has a Leupold on it. They are clear enough for what I use them for in that respect , I own more than a few Meopta Optika 6 scopes as well and they are optically heads and shoulders above far more expensive Leupold scopes as a rule and clearer than the Vortex as well , they are also heavier for a given scope in a magnification range , I am getting old enough now I like lighter in a bolt gun which is going to get toted around hunting .

When I do feel a need for cheap Asian made optics I usually get a Burris because they have arguably the best warranty in the business , and yes they do repair their scopes not just send you another . My last scope I sent them a year ago was repaired and sent back in 7 days from the time they received it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a 6X Leupold Mountaineer made in the 1950's back to Leupold and they sent me a brand new scope , yes it took two months but the VX III HD they sent me was worth it .

Similar story... I bought a really cool looking vintage Leupold at a garage sale. Had some odd numbers on it I thought might have been military markings. I bought it for chump change. It was in perfect working order as far as I could tell.

I called Leupold customer service to see if they could give me any information. The guy I spoke with didn't have anything readily available but said he'd research it. He was also insistent that if anything was wrong with the scope they would stand by the warranty regardless of where I bought it.

I sent him some pictures. A few weeks later I got an envelope in the mail from Leupold with some copies of some advertising materials. I don't recall the scope model but it was made in 1954(?) I think, and retailed at the time for $89. It wasn't a military scope, though. The letter also reminded me it was still under warranty.

I'll take an American made Leupold over a Vortex any day for serious shooting. The Vortex stuff I have is their cheap 1-8x24 AR scopes.

JWBroo

Marksman
Reaction score
In the scope world, that's the most important part - the metal - includes not just tubes, but the opto-mechanical assemblies and the riflescope design that they manage, including qualification and testing. Optics and assemblies are sourced from all over and is reflected in pricing and class of scope. A $1200 Mark 4 does not have chicom glass in it.

Zeiss and Steiner use Meopta glass in most all their OEM. Steiner scopes not made in Colorado are made in Europe. Everyone else who uses Japanese glass is getting it from LOW - either optics or entire scopes (mostly the latter. BTW, anything LOW is as good as MIUS - so if you get a scope that says MIJ, you're gtg. They also get scope kits so they can say "built in the US" - this includes chicom, Phil, and LOW.

When your business buys chicom and Phil scopes for $20-$50 and sells them for $700 or more, you can definitely afford to swap out broke-ass scopes. You can even cover the costs of a high-end Japanese scope swap (they never break).

I buy Japanese, US, or Euro made and I know what's what. Anything not Japanese (LOW), US (Corning, Schott, LOW, Meopta) or Euro made, is probably on the junk side of things. I don't buy it. You can, I don't. I guess I'm a scope snob.
Zeiss uses Euro glass for about 95% of their products. The other 5% is Japanese. I only own the Razor line of Vortex scopes. They are clear and have helped me drop many animals. Phil scopes albeit cheap are nothing to turn your nose up at. Burris FF2 is a great scope for the money and they hold up well. I have one a 300WM and it’s been on there for almost 20 years without an issue or re-zero ever. In saying all this, go with what works best your budget and looks best in your eyes.

Side bar- I’m in the market for another scope or two. What Japanese scopes are you having luck with?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Zeiss uses Euro glass for about 95% of their products. The other 5% is Japanese. I only own the Razor line of Vortex scopes. They are clear and have helped me drop many animals. Phil scopes albeit cheap are nothing to turn your nose up at. Burris FF2 is a great scope for the money and they hold up well. I have one a 300WM and it’s been on there for almost 20 years without an issue or re-zero ever. In saying all this, go with what works best your budget and looks best in your eyes.
I turn my nose up at them.
That said, I don't think that my disdain for cheap scopes should be construed as not liking Vortex, Burris, and on. All of their Japanese scopes are top notch and I would buy one if they had one I liked or met my requirements. I've owned several Razor HD and they are GTG, and I'd own another. But I would take an ATACR or Leupold Mark 5 over a Razor any day all day.
You mentioned Burris, which is funny because no Burris scopes are made in their facility in Colorado, only the Steiners.

I'm of the opinion, that if somebody is on a budget and throws out a number like $500-$700, then it's a no brainer to me. Leupold first choice, then look to a Japanese made scope if you can find one. The issue with many of these companies is that they don't tell you where a scope is made in their advertising, but will if you ask.
Check out Meopta as well, they are the LOW of Europe and they have had a presence here in the states since the mid 20th century. They don't make junk ever.
Side bar- I’m in the market for another scope or two. What Japanese scopes are you having luck with?

What are your requirements?
NFO NX8
Horus has a really good LOW scope out too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom