LEVI'S 501 Shrink to Fit Button Fly Jeans... like we USED to wear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... here's the deal. I have heard (and have yet to do any research) that 501 button flys are not the same as they used to be. I believe it because nothing is like it used to be (if it used to be good) anymore it seems. The old bad stuff is still the same, but the old good stuff is no more.

Anyway, I remember wearing 501 shrink to fit button flys back in the school days and I LOVED them. I actually loved the way Becky Brown in my trigonometry class looked in them more, but I still loved them on me too. It's literally the only jeans I wore. I guess all the years of wearing cammies 24x7 after I joined the Marines broke me from them and I somehow lost touch with my denim highschool sweethearts.

They were great. It seemed like no matter what you did, you could NOT wear them out. They fit great, looked great, felt great. Damn I miss those jeans!

Now, I have the bug to own some again. In fact, I want the ones I used to wear but I think my Mom sold them to the Russians or something to fund my sister's college. I'll settle for ones that are exactly like the ones I used to wear in the early to mid 80s though.

Suggestions?
Anyone know the intimate details of the LEVI'S linage?
Do I have to travel to the USSR and pay $1000 a pair for them?
Why doesn't SOMEONE (or do they?) make some dadgum LEVI'S style jeans like they used to?

Help please...

farm5.staticflickr.com_4129_4975073772_6cf5c83b73.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Levi's still makes them the old selvedge denim 501's on a shuttle loom. Made in USA and they run $178 a pair. I was gonna buy a pair once by my size was not in stock. I had it in me to try selvedge jeans, but then lost interest after that. I just buy piles of cheap 501's and throw them away when they wear out. Which is fairly quickly.

Jeans in the old days were all selvedge denim. This is what that means.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really didn't appreciate shrink to fit 501s until I was in high school. It was then that I didn't mind raiding my dad's closet for those perfectly broken in 501s that started out as indigo sandpaper.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got on a raw, selvage denim kick for a while and still am somewhat. Most of mine are Japanese, which is pretty much where most of the great denim is made these days. There's nothing like wearing in a pair of raw denim jeans and getting all the honeycombs and whiskers that are so unique to each pair.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Atwoods sells levis but i dont know if they sell 501's. I havent worn a pair of those in years but one of my favorite pair of jeans are 517's i think.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG!! I LOVED my 501s ... they were SOOOO comfortable. Man, I'm missin' my goatroper days.

Summertime ... 501s ... ropers ... a bandana for a shirt ... a pickup truck ... Tishomingo Wildlife Refuge ... a 6-pack ... and the DANGED RANGER!! lol Man, those were the days!!

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG!! I LOVED my 501s ... they were SOOOO comfortable. Man, I'm missin' my goatroper days.

Summertime ... 501s ... ropers ... a bandana for a shirt ... a pickup truck ... Tishomingo Wildlife Refuge ... a 6-pack ... and the DANGED RANGER!! lol Man, those were the days!!

HA HA!!!! shrink to fit's and ropers, ahhhh the memories. Not you Badge (I don't think) but ohhh the memories :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom