Local(Oklahoma) suppressor manufacturers/silencersmiths?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know for a fact that there have been several homemade cans that are every bit as quiet as some of the big boys cans ( swr aac thunderbeast etc...... ). as far as the cost of cnc machining being more expensive it is to an extent but it also takes less man hours and is more precise than someone doing everything by hand on a manual lathe or mill. A good machinist with a little knowledge and a little time can definitely make his own can cheaper if he doesn't count his time as being worth much, and can incorporate some pretty cool features in the process such as being able to take his can apart for cleaning, interchangeable baffles and different caliber baffles and have some self satisfaction and pride in his work and design.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for a fact that there have been several homemade cans that are every bit as quiet as some of the big boys cans ( swr aac thunderbeast etc...... ). as far as the cost of cnc machining being more expensive it is to an extent but it also takes less man hours and is more precise than someone doing everything by hand on a manual lathe or mill. A good machinist with a little knowledge and a little time can definitely make his own can cheaper if he doesn't count his time as being worth much, and can incorporate some pretty cool features in the process such as being able to take his can apart for cleaning, interchangeable baffles and different caliber baffles and have some self satisfaction and pride in his work and design.

I must respectfully disagree with two points you made:

1. You stated "several homemade cans that are every bit as quiet as some of the big boys". Unless you have sound measuring equipment and test these cans against each other using the same weapon, ammo and atmospherics; I do not see how you could make that statement. It may sound "as good" to your ear, but that is too subjective. I am not saying a homemade can cannot be as quiet as a major manufacturers, but it would be hard to do without being larger/heavier or require a lot of research.

2. You cannot have any "interchangeable baffles and different caliber baffles". A form 1 allows you to build one can. It does not allow you to have any spares or extra baffles at all. Only licensed 07/02 FFL/SOT's (Manufacturers) can have them. Read the following out of the ATF NFA Handbook (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf):

2.1.7 Silencer. A firearm silencer and a firearm muffler are defined as any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm. Firearm silencers are generally composed of an outer tube, internal baffles, a front end cap, and a rear end cap. The definition of a silencer also includes any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler. NOTE: the language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer. However, licensed manufacturers who are SOTs may possess spare silencer components in conjunction with their manufacturing operations.

EDITED TO ADD: Here is a link to an ATF letter on the subject as well: http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt

Last edited:

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but the way I interpret that is that as long as your internal parts are se# to your can and you did a form 1 and everything is legitimate then you would be fine, have I misinterpreted the way it is written? And the cans tested were legal, and sound testing equipment was used, the cans were tested indoors and they were close but the edge went to the homemade can. Now that being said the homemade can was longer, a bit bigger around and a lot heavier. I am also not going to brag about the quality of the sound testing equipment as I am not an electronic engineer and I was not running the testing equipment nor am I intelligent enough to do so.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can only have one set of baffles. If you want to make more you have to destroy the old ones first.

What can did the homebrew edge out? How many dB reduction did each have? What were the final dB numbers. I hope it wasn't red jacket style with the Mr Microphone. Pile of junk metering in the 120s.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Man, forget cans - too narrow of the market and too many parts. Make barrels! - that's where the money is! it's only $0.40 worth material and you can sell it for hundreds of dollars! No stamps, no gov over your shoulder - just price $20-$30 under Kreiger and there will be thousands ready to buy!!!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but the way I interpret that is that as long as your internal parts are se# to your can and you did a form 1 and everything is legitimate then you would be fine, have I misinterpreted the way it is written? And the cans tested were legal, and sound testing equipment was used, the cans were tested indoors and they were close but the edge went to the homemade can. Now that being said the homemade can was longer, a bit bigger around and a lot heavier. I am also not going to brag about the quality of the sound testing equipment as I am not an electronic engineer and I was not running the testing equipment nor am I intelligent enough to do so.

Sir, I do not believe you are interpreting that correctly. It specifically states "the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer". You cannot have even one extra baffle. You could do as dustingaunder suggested and remove the baffles, destoy them and then put new baffles in; but you cannot have spare or replacement components left over.

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The can was an aac 7.62sd and as I said, I was not bragging about the quality of the testing material or methods but both cans were tested the same and unfortunately dustin, it was red jacked style.

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Understood, as I said I'm not an electrical engineer and was not running the equipment, only pulling the trigger and loading the ammo and I do not know anything about frequency or sound measurement. I appreciate the unsightly as all I knew was that the difference was too small to notice with the naked ear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom