Long-range coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T,
I like the .338 but if you have another round that I could get over 3000fps and a 300 gr bullet I would be willing to change rounds. I haven't looked too hard on a caliber change.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A 338 lap imp should be right at 3k and you get to keep the good brass. I never could get mine to shoot that well. The 338 edge shoots without much load development. When you're running 300gr bullets, not much is gained from 2850 to 3000fps except recoil.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think I could get better than 1 moa at 1k? That's where I'd like to be. If .338 ackley imp would get there I think I would be willing to try. I have 200 rounds of brass already. Half hasn't ever been loaded.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping 5 shots inside a 10" circle @ 1,000 yds. is not a problem and it doesn't take a cartridge like that to do it...

I have loaded Sierra's 175 gr. Match King in my 30-284 and I have shot several 5 shot groups 7" and less at 1,000 yds. on "best condition" days and I don't have to put up with much recoil or muzzle blast. The 155 gr. A-MAX that I am now shooting exclusively, shoots just as good. And that mangy coyote shown in the very first post, I was able to watch the bullet impact that dog through the scope....

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping 5 shots inside a 10" circle @ 1,000 yds. is not a problem and it doesn't take a cartridge like that to do it...

I have loaded Sierra's 175 gr. Match King in my 30-284 and I have shot several 5 shot groups 7" and less at 1,000 yds. on "best condition" days and I don't have to put up with much recoil or muzzle blast. The 155 gr. A-MAX that I am now shooting exclusively, shoots just as good. And that mangy coyote shown in the very first post, I was able to watch the bullet impact that dog through the scope....

I know it's not. I like the .338 and the big pills and want to be better than 1 moa, (really 1/2 or better) I don't know if the rifle as it currently is will do it though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side note, I do get sub moa groups at 700 with 225gr interbond bullets and punching those at 3400fps. I really haven't found a 300 grn load I'm pleased with yet. But then again I'm really picky when it comes to accuracy, so as I come full circle, the .338 might make me crazy trying to find the best load.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dalyup,

I know what you mean about the "338 and big pills". When Sierra first came out with those long slender 300 gr. .338 bullets, they sent me 1,500 of them before they were ever released to the public. At that time, I had just finished building a sniper rifle, chambered in 340 Weatherby Magnum on a Remington 700 action. I developed a load for that rifle, using those 300 gr. Sierra bullets and not long after that, I was called overseas for "sniper duty". All shots were recorded and the closest confirmed kill was around 900 yds., with the furthest just over 1,800 yds.. There is a lot to be said for the long-range 338's...

What is the twist rate of your 338 Lapua?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a 1-8" twist with the 300 gr. bullets. I would think that a 1-9" twist would stabilize those bullets but, I have never shot that twist, so I don't know if it would prove to be an optimum twist or not....

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I send you my rifle, how long would you need it to make it a .338 ai with a 30" tube with a 1-8 twist.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my current back-log, you probably would not see it till about this time next year. I know it's a long wait and I apologize for that but, that's about the best I can do....

Latest posts

Top Bottom