Looking at picking up an AK-47 or AK-74

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think would be best? I have found that the 5.45x39 of the ak74 is so cheap you could stockpile the hell out of it 1,080 rounds for $162 or so. Then again it's not an AK47.

Also what "brand"/Country would you go with? i like the Hungarian AMD-65.

Let me know what you think is the best!

Thanks,
Kyle

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tantals and kit guns with Bulgarian parts kits are what is available right now. If you get one, buy a lot of ammo and stack it deep. The 5.45 is no 7.62 but it is damn effective. If my dominant eye was not screwed up I would be getting another one but since I would need some type of help with the sights (like a red dot) I figure that I will stay out of the game. I do know that the 5.45 was a favorite when I had mine. Did I mention the surplus ammo does an amazing job as far as breaking up and yawing!

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think for my first AK I may go with an AMD-65. I've just found some in stock and they look very nice and have good reviews. They are also Hungarian made/factory guns with Hungarian receivers etc. I'd like to also get a 5.45x39, but I worry a lot about the ammo. What if they do ban import of surplus ammo and you can't get it anymore...that would suck...but then again i have 4 ar's I can shoot, lol...

Hell I'll just get both...

airtractorfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After looking at a lot of AK types I chose the Saiga 7.62x39 20" bbl.
It is a Russian made sporterized model that is very good for the money. They can usually be found for $400 shipped to a dealer of your choice. My rifle shoots very well at the 100 yard range and has NO JAMMING issues.
The only minor issue with some diehards is that the Saiga will not use stock AK magazines without modifications. Surefire makes some very nice aftermarket magazines for the Saiga.

http://www.armsofamerica.com/firearms/saigarifles.html

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys not worry about the lack of available ammo in the near future? I don't think 5.45 is made in the US at all. Plus I have about 1k rounds of 7.62. But I do agree spend $500 for 3300 rounds...wow that would be nice in 5.56...

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look into the US parts count on the AMD-65's out there now. A lot of them are coming with a US made magazine to make the parts count. There aren't many (maybe none) options to be strictly legal while using surplus mags in these rifles. The odds of this ever being a problem look pretty slim, but for me at least, it ain't worth it. Of the 7.62 guns mentioned so far I'd go with the Yugo if you like the folding stock.

The 5.45 guns can take advantage of the best deal out there on ammo right now. The surplus is corrosive, clean well after using it. Magazine availability can be a little spotty but right now AIM has them for $20 apiece. If I wasn't fairly well fixed for -74 mags I'd pile on that myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom