Looking for a new 25.06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an Axis Edge in 22-250. It had a terrible trigger, and it just felt cheap. Did not like it. Also, there are zero aftermarket accessories for the Axis guns. Remington's 700? is a similar deal. Save a little longer and get something with quality. If you find a used Ruger 77 Mark II, beware of the trigger. They are usually awful unless the gun is very recent. If you get into a used 25-06, look for signs of bore wear. Hot loads tend to shorten barrel life significantly.

My 25-06 is a Mauser 98 action with a Shilen barrel put together by a smith in Midwest City. It is extremely accurate and shoots very flat. I think with the proper bullets it would be okay on animals up to elk size, but I would probably use one of my larger calibers for that.

You will like the caliber. There are several single shot versions available which are inexpensive, but the Savage is probably just fine. I want a Ruger Number 1 in 25-06, but would not use it enough to justify the expense.

Reloading is easy, and there is quite a bit of brass available. I tried forming some 30-06 cases, but it was too much trouble and I'll only do it again if I run out of my several hundred cases and can't find more.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an Axis Edge in 22-250. It had a terrible trigger, and it just felt cheap. Did not like it. Also, there are zero aftermarket accessories for the Axis guns. Remington's 770 is a similar deal. Save a little longer and get something with quality. If you find a used Ruger 77 Mark II, beware of the trigger. They are usually awful unless the gun is very recent. If you get into a used 25-06, look for signs of bore wear. Hot loads tend to shorten barrel life significantly.

Too late to edit. Brain failure. Rem 700 would be a great choice. I meant 770, but typed 700. "Doh!"

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger yesterday. Did a lot of looking around, touching, feeling and pondering, then settled on a Browning X-Bolt. It met every criteria that I had perfectly. First thing that I loved about it was the trigger. I loved the Accu-Trigger on the Savage, but really did not like much else about it. Browning Feather Trigger is really slick. There is no travel to it. I mean when you put your finger on it and apply pressure, it goes, with minimal overtravel. Wood stock was just beautiful, but not practical for me, so I wanted synthetic. Hate the feel of most all synthetics out there. They just feel like cheap, unbalanced plastic... I could not talk myself into that no matter how hard I tried. Then I came across the Dura-Touch finish on the Brownings and instantly fell in love. It is like a heavy synthetic stock dipped in rubber, so it feels more balanced, does not have that cheap, hollow sound to it, and is supposed to hold up well. Next thing I was looking for was a magazine and not a hinged spring plate. Nothing makes me madder than a hinged spring plate. I do not understand who would make such a thing. Let's put a bouncy spring on the bottom to make your cartridges fly EVERYWHERE when you open it! Could not do that, and majority of guns seemed to have the hinged spring plate. X-Bolt has a thick, hard plastic magazine that holds 4 rounds, exactly like I wanted. Pretty much sealed the deal for me right there. Loved the action on the X-Bolt. It was super smooth, not wobbly. Felt like a well machined action. Gun was picked out, so had to pick the scope next. Tried every scope in the store within my price range. Leupold did not really do it for me, all the ones I looked at had only crosshairs and not a mil dot reticle. I could not see the crosshairs on some of the Nikon's, I guess I'm getting old. I finally picked up one scope and it felt like an eye orgasm. It was Viper Vortex HS 4-16x50. Nice and bright, and everything else I was looking for. So it now adorns my new gun.

First new rifle I have ever bought, it was like picking out my first new vehicle and getting to pick the color. Everything else I have had has been hand me down or used. Now I'm ready to shed some blood with it.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_brown1.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_brown2.jpg

And her name is Betty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice! Have a friend that moved to Loveland, CO and reloaded his .223 and .300Win mag for him. Both were Browning A Bolts and were shooters. When looking at rifles, I never think to look at the Brownings for whatever reasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom