looking for an ATV disc/plow. suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok So I planted my first food plot just last week. I spent about 2.5 days with a garden tiller to get just over a 1/2 acre tilled. I am looking for something I can pull with my 4 wheeler. just looks as if it may be easier than a garden tiller.
I found this at tractor supply anyone used this has one? www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundhog-max-atv-disc-plow

I have an old disc out at the house that I can maybe cut up and make one but its about 8' wide and 6' deep. i think if remembering correctly its a three row disc.

also I don't wanna spend $800+ on a pull behind plow i will spend the time to make one. But was curious if anyone has had experience with that groundhog max and if it works or not. kinda looks small and will still be time consuming just won't have to fight with the tiller then.

I also saw an old dorse drawn disc on craigslist that I can make work I think but its around the same price as the groundhog max.

and please don't say go to an auction buy an old plow for next to nothing. I live where Chupps auction co. works and people at those auctions don't understand that majority of stuff they buy is same price that it can be bought new for.
in other words they spend too much and I have personally seen old plows and implements sale for $400+ but usually average around 300.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a 4' disc sitting Bartlesville that we welded up from a horse drawn. I had loaned it to a friend to use on his lease, he used it for a few years, lost the lease, and it's been sitting in Bville for about the last 4 years at my moms. I think it needs the hitch welded back on. We/he placed large pieces of sandstone on top for weight. You're welcome to it if you want it. It's not pretty, it's squeeky, but is effective and tears up the soil as long as it's not like concrete.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 4 wheeler disc I'll let go for a "Ben Franklin". I used it one time and it's just sitting in the barn and chances are, I won't never use it again. Let me know if you are interested in it and if so, I'll try to remember and post a picture of it this time tomorrow....

DAVID

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have rented a John Deere 40ish HP tractor and disc for 8 hours for about $200. Once in spring for summer food plots and once in spring for winter food plots. Makes real easy work compared to struggling all day with a garden tiller.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the ground hog max and used to make 2 1/4 acre plots couple of years ago. On virgin ground this took a long time and wore 2 of us out. You might think the quad is doing the work but your arms and legs take a beating.

RECOMMENDATION.... agree with Bassin, rent a tractor with a tiller attachment. We found a rental dealer that will let us use one for 250 per weekend. We can get alot done over one weekend with a tractor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe its the area you live in, but around here, a horse drawn steel wheeled 2 bottom plow in operating condition goes for 50-60 bucks. I have three of them. 6' single gang disk I bought for $75, (welded wheels on top so it can be flipped and transported down the road).
Drag type springtooth goes for scrap metal prices. I pull them with a 4WD Toyota tacoma.
Renting a tractor is a whole lot less work though.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised, here are a couple of pictures of the ATV disc that I have...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_001_25_zps23d1648e.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_002_3_zpsa79d1621.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_009_7_zpsfea31955.jpg

i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_006_26_zpsc2a371d8.jpg

Let me know if you are interested....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom